Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Boden Weekly Review Roundup: Summer and Sophia.

Hey, all!  Happy Tuesday!  As promised (yesterday, yikes!), here is the BWRR.  Since the Sophia Dress finally dropped yesterday, I can officially do my review with all the photos I took a few weeks back.

The mini-rollout was yesterday, and included all those fall items that didn't roll out in late July.  As of this morning, there appears to be even more at their "NEW IN" tab, so take a look 'round there, especially if you didn't have a chance to yesterday.

Okay, 'nuff blah blah, onto the roundup!

Regular Boden:
Sophia Dress.  Size 8L.  I actually wrote up a little bit of a review here at this last BWRR, but I have more to add for those of you who really want the down-low before you buy.

The 8L is a nice fit.  I can slip it right over my head and it fits just so over my curves.  Yes, it is a bit big through my bust and shoulders and waist (most obvious in the back photo), but it does not stick to my hips the way I am sure the 6L would have.  Since I know that I would like to wear this to both church and subbing, I needed to make sure it wasn't too fitted.  If you prefer a tighter fit, size down.  Don't worry about access since there is a back zip (completely superfluous for me, btw, since I can slip it over my head). 

Side view.  The ruching at the waist is fairly subtle and doesn't make one look pregnant, so don't fear the waist ruching! 

The 3/4 sleeves are nice, but on me are more elbow length.  Or maybe they are meant to be elbow length and on the tall size are a bit longer than elbow on me.  Hmm...

Okay just checked.  They are supposed to be 3/4 length and look that way on the model in the studio shot, but in the catalog, the model's are up to her elbows.  Looks like I am in good company--long arms UNITE!

Back view.  It is obvious that the bodice is too long and too large here.  The zip would have worked better for me in a shorter length, and in a more subtle (and less heavy) zip.  But whatever.  I am so in love with this dress, this is a tiny irritation.  I don't mind exposed zips but I know some of you HATE them, so bear that in mind.

Detail.  Love the floral design, so pretty in a watercolor/Monet sort of way.  The material is a lyocell that is very stretchy, lined in a contrast jersey lining.  Both are very soft and exceedingly comfortable to wear.  This is a very thin set of materials, so in no way would I think this will work as really warm winter wear for most women.  You can wear them with tights and a cute jacket in winter, though, and that would work just fine.  It is obviously fine for summertime.

Sophia Dress
Sophia Dress.  Fully stocked.  Likely you can wait for a better percentage off if you want to.  I am not sure if this one will sell out or if there will be so many ordered by Boden that there will be plenty of stock through the season and will be there when clearance rolls out in December.  I am not unhappy buying it now and getting plenty of wear out of it over the next few months.  :-)

Chepstow Top
Chepstow Top.  I wrote up a review of this top here at this blog post.

WRITTEN REVIEWS HERE AT THE BLOG:
Dartmouth Tunic Dress
Dartmouth Tunic Dress.  Anna had this to say about this dress/tunic:

I got my Dartmouth Tunic in mulled wine last week and love it. I felt the color was a bit lighter than pictured on the website, but I still liked it. I was going for a dress, not tunic look, so I ordered long and it's perfect, hits at the knee (I'm 5'5). The dress is more form hugging than I expected, which turns out to be a good thing, there is noting sac-like about it but it's not clingy either, just perfect. As Lizzyt mentioned, it snags really easily. Love the wool/cotton blend, it's nice and soft, and from my experience with that fabric from last year, washes and keeps well.

Poppy Dress
Poppy Dress.  LizzyT had written up a review of this one a while back, but this dress finally dropped in the last rollout, so I figured it made sense to re-publish the review.  (At least I *think* this is the same dress, LizzyT can let me know if it isn't.)

I can't find the name of this last dress but I think it's the Posy dress in bright pink. It has an embroidery detail as a bib. This can't go back fast enough. Cheap jersey material that is see through and very clingy. Glad I have tons of dresses from seasons past that are high quality and appropriate in length for a grown woman! 

Sparkle Tee
Sparkle Tee.  CC wrote up a review of this one yesterday for us!


I had received the Sparkle Tees several weeks ago and had to return them. They were really pretty, but there is a whole lot of beading on them, and I thought, as long as the beading stays on....They didn't even make it to the closet. I tried them on and was going to put them away, when I noticed a dangling bead. I think the beading is just too heavy for the material, which is a double layer of viscose and wool. It also wouldn't be able to be worn too casually, because the beading is quite delicate. Pretty top though, I wish it were just made a little differently.


Ottoman Shift
Retro Tunic Dress
Print Tunic Dress
Ottoman Shift, Retro Tunic Dress, Print Tunic Dress, and Amelia Dress (not yet available--CC is not reviewing the Johnnie b. dress).  CC wrote up some info on these items in a comment at one of my posts last week.  :-)

I bought a few dresses, but have only kept one - the Ottoman Shift. Really, it's a dress that can fit anyone. It's stretchy and comfortable, has a back zip and pockets, too! I bought the black and then went back and purchased the Beetroot color (plum/purple), which is very vibrant. I also returned the Retro Tunic and Print Tunic Dresses. The Retro Tunic fit well, but the material, which is a double layer, is a little thin, and every time I moved, you could see an undergarment line. I planned on wearing this more casually, and don't want to have to spanx it on a casual basis. The pattern also overwhelmed me because I'm shorter. The Print Tunic Dress fit well, it's a stretchy sweater fabric, but the pattern overwhelmed me as well. There are a whole lot of dots on that dress - just too much for me. On someone taller it would probably look great. For all these dresses I purchased the long, and even though I'm short, I'm glad that I did, because they would have likely been well above the knee if I had not. From the Winter Preview (can you believe they have been sending some items from that preview already), I received the Amelia Dress which is a jersey fabric with a lot of little birds lined up. Very cute and here the length, which I purchased in long, was actually long. The dress was cute and comfortable, but it looked like a nightgown on me, due to the fabric and print. I just couldn't pull it off. I guess this dress will be released with the winter merchandise, but it is not a very warm fabric, and would have been a better choice to release with the Autumn items.

Low Heeled Loafer
Flat T-Bar Point
Ballerina Flat
Low Heeled Loafer, Flat T-Bar Point, Ballerina Flats.  CC also did some reviews of these shoes.

I also bought the loafers. I bought the warm pewter metallic in my regular size. I didn't need to size up on that one at all. I did purchase (and receive) the bronze metallic flat t-bar points. I did size up on this one after I read the reviews (and thank you for suggesting to look at the UK site, it has been very helpful with other items as well). However, the one size larger was just too big, and because of the point, it looked too big, almost clown shoe-like. I know at least one other reviewer noticed the same problem. It is a little bit of a longer shoe, because there is unwearable space at the point. So, I have ordered another pair in my regular size and they are on their way to me, so I can see if I can still fit my foot in one size smaller, which would be my regular shoe size. They probably could have made these a little less pointy with more toe space up front. The Ballerina Flats is another shoe that I have purchased and like a lot in my regular shoe size. I bought the gold metallic and the navy. These are extremely comfortable shoes. They have plenty of room in the toe box and the heel is just sturdy enough to keep your foot in place. They are probably not the most attractive pair of shoes, but the gold metallic goes with everything. In fact, I had my daughter try on the gold pair and she loved them so much that I purchased her a pair as well. Her foot is more narrow than mine, but the shoes still fit her well (my feet are a little more Flinstone like, more square).
 
REVIEWS FROM FRIENDS WITH BLOGS:
Mary Jane
Autumn Trench
Mary Jane Heels and Autumn Trench.  Jacquelyn took a closer look at these items for us here at this blog post.

Clearance Items:
Easy T-shirt Dress
Easy T-Shirt Dress.  Egyptomaniac wore hers recently.  Very pretty!

Holiday Wedge
Holiday Wedge.  Lou sported her spotted pair with a cute casual outfit, featuring pants/trousers.  Very cute.  Love it!  She also wore them with a more summery look here.

Broderie Detail Tee
Broderie Detail Tee.  Lou wore hers in white recently.  Hadn't even noticed this one, looks really good, Lou!

Okay that's all for today.  Have a great one!

This link works for all items, not just mini Boden ones.  The affiliate has not uploaded ones for the ladies yet.