Sunday, June 9, 2013

OOTD/Review: Boden Harbour Island Dress.


Day: Friday, May 31, 2013.

Where:  Rex's Tee-ball Practice and Girls Night Out.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  The Boden Harbour Island Dress review is below, but I will point out that I am normally not a fan of the sheath style dress for myself since my hips and butt feel constrained and miserable while the bust feels like there is all sorts of room to spare.  Because of the way this dress is constructed, my bust felt fitted and my hips and butt felt nicely contained, but not all sad-like.  Very comfortable, and pretty, too.

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  The fun take on an animal print helps elevate this rather simple dress.  The teal/black/olive green combo is also fresh and different, making it cool. 

I should have worn a necklace or a scarf, but I think we may have been in a hurry to get to Rex's practice (which is why the photos are at the park), and accessories were clearly not on my mind.  (The sunglasses are stashed in the car, fwiw.)

Anecdote from the day:  I have been out on four separate girls' night outs this year...and it feels awesome.  :)  The ladies are definitely an eclectic mix, ranging from hippy/crunchy La Leche League leaders to my bowling buddies and of course, yours truly.  I think I may have to have these ladies over for a night of wine drinking at my house in celebration of my next birthday.  I imagine that free drinks may be the ultimate draw based on what I have seen the ladies consume left to their own devices.  ;)

Review:  I decided to purchase the size 6 Long after reading the measurements on line, viewing Avril's review, and seeing that the fabric was a mix of a viscose front and stretchy cotton jersey back.  Since I knew that the jersey would work with my curves, I felt pretty confident that the size would work.

I am really glad I didn't buy the regular length as I think the length would have been far too short on me.  This knee length also allows me to wear it to places like church, so I am a fan.

The detailing is not readily apparent on first view, but the neckline has a darling crochet detail insert in it.  The color of the detail on this dress is the olive green color (like the sleeves and back), and on the other colorways, there is a similar contrast detail.

I am not normally viscose's #1 fan, but at the price I paid (the same as the price it is now, on 30% off sale which I discussed in this post), I am happy and anticipate this being another of my go-to summer dresses.  I think if you can buy a viscose piece on deep discount or it is already at a fairly good price, the material is worth it.

Harbour Island Dress
Harbour Island Dress.  The hot pink color will stick around for the big end of season clearance, but the purple version and the olive version may not make it to clearance in all sizes.

Okay, talk with you all soon.  Since I know that the dress sale ends on Wednesday, I will make it a point to publish my "queued" dress posts before then.

Direct link to the sale going on right now.  To see the dresses in the 30% promo, the homepage of Boden USA has a direct link, but you can always click here, too.  :)