Saturday, December 21, 2013

Boden: End of Season Sale Picks! (Autumn/Winter 2013 Version.)

We'll get to why I think the Ava dress deserves the #1 spot in my picks post soon...

Hello and happy Saturday to everyone.  :-)

As you are well aware by now, the Boden end of season sale has started and has even managed to have second cuts already, so I am not going to spend much time on the logistics of the sale.  One quick thing to point out...as of right now there is no free shipping on any items, so bear that in mind when purchasing any items, it is far better to make a purchase with multiple items (if that was what you had intended to do anyhow) than make multiple purchases of single items.  If free shipping gets going again, you had better believe I will update the blog.

Rather than bore you all with the MANY many reviews I have done of the fall and winter items, I will instead send you to my BWRRs.  I also think that since so many of my choices have been selling out, there are not many from the items I chose that are a "good" enough deal to make my sale post.  (There are a few, obviously, and I will highlight them below on their own.)

Okay, onto the picks.

Ava Dress.  This pattern and its sister shade are on deeper discount than the "fan" printed versions.  The sister shade of this one is actually half price at $64, so the one you see above is not the least expensive, but since I own the one above, and LUUURRRVVE it, I will still happily recommend it to you at 30% off.

The reason this dress made it to #1 in my picks post is because it falls into a bunch of categories.  Is it at least 30% off in some of the colors?  Yes.  Is it figure flattering on most bodies?  Yes.  Will it look horrible and dated in a few years?  No, this kind of print has been around for years and will continue to be around for years.  As a bonus, this dress packs well and is super comfortable since it is made of a beautiful jersey material.

When I wrote up the review, I even declared it a winner, and I have yet to change my opinion.  ;-)

One quick note, I did size up in this, so please do read the review before choosing the size you want to purchase.

Bow Front Blouse.  These tops are in the 60% off category, and I must say, the bow front blouse does look very pretty in the still shots.  They come HIGHLY recommended from many readers of this blog (thanks, ladies!), so I am taking a second look at them myself (maybe the white version?).  Anyhow, these are not as well rated on-line, unfortunately, but if you think you could make one work for you, these are definitely a steal at the lower price.  Bear in mind that the two biggest complaints are the sheerness of the blouse coupled with the empire waistline of the top/bagginess of the lower portion. 

For those of you who recommended this, I would normally purchase a size 6 in this, do you think I should size down to the 4 since so many of the reviewers said to size down?  I would love some IRL perspectives from my blog friends.  ;-)

Dazzling Heels.  The black version of these darling heels are barely reduced in price, but the silver and gold versions are 40% off.  I personally have no experience with these, but I did see them in a fairly recent issue of Real Simple magazine, and I figure many of you did, too, so I am going ahead and recommending them to you now that they are a really great price for what you receive.

Embellished Ballet Flats.  I have these in the gold (above) and I think these are darling and sweet and go with so much.  I am sort of surprised they have hung out so long that they made it to 50% off, but based on the reviews, I can see why a few women may be not so keen, especially regarding the black version, whose bow is not as pictured (the black apparently has the same darker bow as the rose gold ones).  Anyhow, if you like them and can make them work for you, this price is really nice!  My original review of them is here.


Bejewelled Sweater.  Only the black version is 60% off, but what a great price for a really special sweater.  The other two shades have sold well, which is why they are not as greatly reduced, so clearly this particular shape is appealing to women.  It has a 5 star rating, so I say grab up the black sooner than later.  I don't know that this one will linger in the 60% off sale for long.

Wool Bistro Crop. There are two shades in the sale at 60% off, this brown check above and its sister pair in grey.  I own the bright blue tartan version, and I can at least give you my two cents on sizing since that seems to be the sole reason people return it to Boden.  I chose to get an 8 Long knowing full well I may need to exchange it for the 10 Long.  I am always fighting a losing battle with Boden and their trouser sizing.  ;-)  Anyhow, this was one of the very few times I actually was able to keep the size I chose initially.  That means these pants run big, btw.  I find the waist is a touch big, the hips are just perfect, and the thighs are more than roomy enough.

BUT--there are many women in the reviews who say they tried multiple sizes and couldn't get even one size to fit right.  As much as I am fine with the way the 8 Long fits me, I wouldn't say they are my best fitting pants ever, either.  So buyer beware, and maybe try two sizes and send one back.

They are made very well, from a lovely wool, and are lined, so there I can definitely recommend them.

Amelie Dress.  Although I technically did a review of this beautiful wool knit dress back at this post, I wanted to add a photo of me wearing it out to dinner, since the color of this one seems a bit drab, which may be why it is not selling well.  I wasn't sure it the grey would work with it, but it did, and it made for an unexpected combo.

Anyhow, at 40% off, you get a great dress that is toasty warm and very unique.

The only shade at 40% off is this warm brown/black striped shade, btw.

Laura Dress.  Here is another one that comes very highly recommended by my blog readers!  All shades are on deep discount (at least 50% off--the grey above is 60% off).  Not quite sure why this one is not selling well, such a pretty dress done in high quality wool, but based on the reviews, there seems to be an expectation of what it *will* look like and what is *received*.  When people love it, they really LOVE it, but when they dislike it, they really DISLIKE it.  LOL. 

Smart Shift.  I didn't choose this one because it reminds me of my multiple (sickness, I know!) notch neck shift dresses.  Instead, it was actually recommended by Cate, who owns it in the raven falling flower pattern.  All of these dresses are at a decent % off, but this black spotted version is at 50% off, which makes it the best deal of the bunch.

British Tweed Blazer.  This black, cream, & grey version is $91.20.  $91 down from $228.  That's a great price.  WOW!  Thanks to Avery12 for recommending it...I wouldn't have even noticed it normally!

Military Wool JacketI own and love this green version above (photo is near the bottom of that post), and so does my friend, B., who I saw wearing it just the other day.  The green version is 50% off and nearly sold out, though.  The navy and grey versions are even more of a screaming deal (that's a B. phrase, btw), and so I say go for it if you have been waiting for an insanely good price.

Okay, that's it for now.  :-)  Thanks for reading.  We'll talk soon!

Further Reductions up to 60% at BodenUSA.com!