Monday, December 9, 2013

OOTEs: Dots and Sequins. 90s and 80s.

Happy Monday, everyone!

I am still in a major state of recovery after having all my wisdom teeth extracted on Friday, so I only have a few minutes before I go back down for *another* rest and eventually more baby food (yum!), but I thought looking at pictures of me before the oral surgery in really pretty clothing would make me feel a tiny bit better.

Anyhow, without further talky-talk...dots and sequins!




Day: Saturday, November 30, 2013.

Where: My high school reunion.  If you follow this blog with any regularity, you know which one, but I am not gonna actually write which one it is, 'cause ouch.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear) You take away those darn glitter Mona heels (as fab as they look), and this would easily have scored a 4.5.  The Tulip Party Dress in the right size (8 regular) made all the difference in the world.  (I had originally purchased the 6 long and when I do the review in the next Boden Weekly Review Roundup, you'll see that it was really smart for me to buy the next size up).

It was chilly that night, but the Lady Day coat was more than adequate for keeping me warm.  Bonus points for nearly matching the jacquard dots on the dress.

Cool Factor: (5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.) Aw, hell, if I can't give myself a 5 out of 5 after putting as much effort into this look as I did, then when can I?

Anecdote from the Day:  Aren't reunions weird?  I found that I really just didn't want to talk to some people, even though it had been *** years and I should be over the fact that these people didn't like me in high school because I wasn't cool enough.  I did talk to some people that I barely even saw in high school, and one girl and I commiserated over having three young kids and being utterly spent most days.  That was really nice to know that one of the cool girls is just like me, you know, normal, and not sprinkled with fairy dust, like I always assumed the cool ones were.

I also decided that since I am getting older, I might as well embrace my inner hog and cut it up on the dance floor, even if I really am not very good at dancing.  But with the assistance of a lot of wine, my friend Michelle, her "friend," and my other friend Leyla, I "jumped" just like Kris Kross told me to.  LOL.




Day: Friday, November 22, 2013.

Where: Went to see the "Legwarmers" perform at the State Theater in Falls Church.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear)  Dang it, J. Crew.  Your stinking ruffled silk blouse felt weird on the bottom half.  Eventually I cut out a tag I had never noticed before and cut off part of the lower zipper (it doesn't affect the zip since the zip's stopper was above where I cut).  It helped, but the stupid top still fits awkwardly.  I may just have to give this one up to the consignment gods, as much as I like the way it looks.

Amazingly, the showstopping knitted jacket held up really well.  You go, Boden!  Years after purchasing it, the pretty sequined cardigan still looks pretty and brand spanking new. 

Cool Factor: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.) I thought I was doing a good version of the 80s, but then I arrived at the theater with my friend, S., and we discovered there were a whole lot of twenty-somethings wearing honest-to-God vintage 80s clothing.  I *knew* I should have gone in the attic and found some of my 80s clothes.  Ha.  :-)  I mean they had it all...Members Only Jackets, scrunchies, weird jumpsuits, neon sweatshirts, etc., etc. 

My husband said I barely looked 80s, but I told him that at my age, I should dress as "inspired" by the 80s versus actual 80s since I could fall into "mutton dressed as lamb" real fast if I am not careful.

I still think the next time I go I am grabbing something from my vintage closet and going with it, my mutton status be damned. 

Anecdote from the Day:  Apparently I had some guy ask me if I wanted him to buy me a drink.  I didn't actually see or hear this exchange (it was LOUD in there), but S. swears up and down that it happened.  I will call it my own personal Brigadoon...did he really appear?

Okay, that's all for now.  Based on my own wussiness, I can't say I will be back with anything here for a day or two, but maybe I will miraculously feel better and I can get my normal schedule back on track!