Thursday, March 7, 2013

OOTDs: Casual Dressy. Or Just Dressy. Part One of Two.




Day: Sunday, January 27, 2013.

Where: Church.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  This outfit was so comfortable and just warm enough for the mild day. 

Cool Factor: (4.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  The Duchamp print Astor jacket will always stay in my closet.  It may be a very bold and graphic design, but I find I love wearing it when I pull it out.  I always have to try and remember to keep the rest of the outfit fairly simple in order to let the jacket fully shine.  (I have worn it in a similar manner before here and here, though this is my favorite outfit yet.)

The necklace is the knots and pearls necklace from J. Crew that was on a really long backorder.  I am glad I held out for it since, like the duchamp jacket, it is a really neat twist on a classic.

Overall, I feel like this outfit is one of my coolest yet since I started the rating system (wrinkly Loft pants notwithstanding, of course).

Anecdote from the day: This was the day that if we attended 9:30 am mass with Rex, in his school uniform, he could then receive a coupon from his teacher for a "dress down" day later that week.  I used to LOVE dress down days as a kid, so I insisted we make this mass.

(I once got to high school, found out it was a dress down day, and returned home to get dressed properly.  I NEVER got in trouble at school, and was never late, but I so wanted to wear something "Jessie Spano" would have worn that I willingly came late to school that day.  My friend Lisa was actually mad at me for not staying true to my nerdy self and being okay with wearing the uniform when everyone else was dressed down.  Little did she know that I was going to have a personal style blog one day.  LOL.)



Day: Monday, February 11, 2013.

Where: Texas de Brazil for Mr. Dina's birthday dinner.

Ease of Wear: (2.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  A very pretty outfit, yes, but not super comfortable.  Surprisingly, though, the mini Boden sequin ballet flats (size 39) were more comfortable than I expected, since it is technically a size down from the women's size I normally wear.  Now that mini Boden doesn't include shoes up to size 39, these will likely be the last pair I can purchase from that line.

My daughter loved me in the shoes, calling them my "Dorothy shoes."  She insisted on wearing hers, too (she has a similar pair from Target).

Cool Factor: (2.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  Well, not cool, but definitely feminine.

I do think I should get points for pulling out the embellished brown cardigan from Nine West, though, since it is over seven years old.  I was *this* close to giving it up when I realized that it would nicely pair with this skirt (which I last wore here, styled very differently).

Next time I may try a smaller necklace, since I think it competes too much with everything else going on in the outfit.

Anecdote from the day: Angus was so popular at Texas de Brazil.  I always lol when male servers fawn all over him, especially when they are under 25.  I don't know why I think young men don't like babies, but it is a stereotype I can't let go, no matter how many times they come up to me and pinch his cheeks, rough up his hair, or tickle his chin.  ;)

Mr. Dina loved his dinner, of course.  His idea of heaven is lots of meat served to you in superfluity (see that connection?). 


Day: Tuesday, February 5, 2013.

Where: Yummy Korean restaurant, Han Sung Oak.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) It is really not difficult to feel good in a warm sweater dress (cable knitted dress, review here).  The most uncomfortable part of the outfit was the pewter dusted knee boots from Anthropologie, which were still really comfortable.  :)

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  It has a slight boho vibe going on, so I will say it was more cool than not.

Anecdote from the day:  Our friend is an expert on Korea, and has even been in the national news because of his very particular niche intelligence.  Of course we always go to the Korean restaurant when he's around. 

I always love it when he speaks in Korean to the proprietors...they are more than slightly agog at this definitely not Korean, bearded, and bespectacled man speaking perfect Korean. 



Day: Wednesday, February 6, 2013.

Where: Room Parent Meeting at Rex's school.

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Outside of the waistband being a touch too small, this outfit is very easy to wear.  I especially love how thick and warm the blue mesa sweater skirt is. 

The stacked strap heels are also really comfortable, considering how high they are.

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  This is definitely a very "Anthro" outfit, and most likely only cool to other Anthro aficionados.  ;)

Anecdote from the day:  I love going to meetings at school for the room parents.  I feel weirdly anti-social, like I should be more outgoing, but can't be...I think I feel the strain of being in the cafeteria that I used to eat in* as a kid.

I think I will likely get over my anxieties since I clearly have many years of this ahead of me (by the time Angus graduates it will be...wait for it...2025, gulp), but for now, I will just keep dressing up and keep "keeping" to myself.

*and be tormented by NATALIE in--grrr, NATALIE.

Day: Wednesday, February 20, 2013.

Where: Nowhere!  Was dressed for a Winesday that didn't happen (sad face).

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Well it was very comfortable, these Boden sweater dresses are made for that.  It's a shame that I barely wore this outfit for more than a couple of hours then.

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  Not very cool, the shoes are really cool, and definitely help the outfit, but nothing especially cool overall.  This dress looks cooler here than it did the last time I wore it, though.

Anecdote from the day:  My brother had to cancel on me since he was sick. I was sad 'cause he was sick and because I really like Winesday.  I know I could go to Winesday myself, but it wouldn't be the same, ya know?

Okay, that's it for now.  :) Part two should be coming in the next few days.