Saturday, March 24, 2012

OOTD: Scenes from a Baby Shower...

Gus and I had the lovely fortune of being thrown a baby shower in DC last Sunday. In the world of perfect timing, it was also the same day as Mothering Sunday and one of the best days to see the cherry blossoms. I felt incredibly blessed to have some great blog friends (folks who I met in this area by being part of the blogging community--some with blogs, some without blogs) literally shower my little man with some darling gifts and company.

Clearly, with a big brother, Gus will not want for much as many items we have already and will be happily handed down to him from Rex. That said, I truly believe that each little baby is special and even just a small treat here or there is something that needs to be done. (He has a handful of items bought specifically because I want him to have something that is his own that Rex or CW can't use.)

Did I ever imagine we would have a shower? Heck no! But when I received the invitation from the lovely Rosa (of the amazing blog Rosa Loves...), I was so excited and grateful!

We had settled on March 18, which was the absolute last day I felt comfortable going (just in case he came early!), so bearing that in mind, I ended up choosing an outfit that is amongst the last few maternity items that still actually fit.

Top: Liz Lange for Target.  This doesn't fit today, but managed to do the job last Sunday.  As I don't grow the "ladies" while pregnant (even postpartum it is kind of sad, really), I have a whole host of tees/tops that fit beautifully for the vast majority of my pregnancies but become far too small in the belly at the very end.  Because while I may not grow up top, my bellies are always very large at the very end.  Really, I probably need a size medium belly area and a size extra small in the shoulders.  Like I say when people seem surprised by my waistline at the end, "I brew 'em big."  :)
Skirt: Gap Maternity.
Shoes: Naturalizer.
Necklace: J. Crew Tangled Treasure.
Purse: J. Crew Patent Mini Campo.

I contemplated using this image as a header for my blog, even for just a brief time, but in the end, I will stick with insouciant dinagideon standing in front of a green fence thingy in the city.

You can see the slight pulling at the waist, yet look at the looser neckline.  Oh, Gus, you big ole boy.

One more view.  Really loved this look, felt a bit less frumpy (as I have been feeling a lot lately, muumuus will do that to any girl, right?) and a bit more fun.  It was pretty comfy, too, so yay for stretchy waistbands and padded insole booties.

Ladies who brunch...from left to right...Rosa (Rosa Loves...), Kelly, Cleo26 (former blog Trousseau Adventures), Slastena (About All and Nothing at All), Rebecca (I Wanna Be a Domestic Goddess), yours truly/Angus, and Summerilla (Sumsunshine).   The brunch was held at Jose Andres yummy eatery, America Eats Tavern, which is in the same building as both minibar (was in the DC episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain) and what used to be America Eats--Cafe Atlantico

BTW, Slastena BRAVED the DC traffic.  She accidentally ended up driving over near the tidal basin (I mentioned the cherry blossoms were blooming above, right?) and a four mile detour that would normally make her late by maybe 15-20 minutes meant she was stuck in traffic for an additional hour.  On the bright side, she was able to take many a pretty picture whilst stalled.

I saw the cherry blossoms from the metro.  Since I take the yellow line to get home, which crosses OVER the Potomac near the Tidal Basin  (as opposed to a tunnel, which some of the lines do UNDER the Potomac), I was able to get a view from my comfy air-conditioned seat.  It has been years since I actually went to the Tidal Basin.  (Quick secret for non-Washingtonians...many neighborhoods have cherry blossoms, they are quite ubiquitous around here.  Our neighborhood in Alexandria has a handful just hanging out on folk's front lawns.  Admittedly it doesn't quite stun the way the hundreds of trees together do, but they are still amazing in their own singleton way.)

America Eats Tavern does comfort/historical American food, but with a high-end flair.  Clearly the ingredients were top notch as everyone was raving over how our taste buds danced when enjoying our first bites to our last bites. 

Above is what I chose, the cornbread with Virginia (natch) bacon, fried egg, and sorghum syrup.  I also had some sweet tea, and unlike a lot of sweet tea I drink (and trust me, drink it, I do!), this was less sweet, which I have to say, I prefer.  My hubby's family makes it this way, and so I guess I have just gotten used to it.  That said, McDonald's sweet tea is awesome during pregnancy, ESPECIALLY when it is warm out.  (That crazy hit of over the top sweet and ice...unbeatable.)

Gus received many a gift, of which you will see on him (promise), but I did take one photo of the blue stuffed dog and hand-knitted booties and cap that Summerilla gave me.  :)  She says her mom knitted the booties and cap.  As someone who doesn't knit, I am in constant awe of those who do.  I literally hold the knitting needles and become all thumbs (like with gardening, I make a mockery of gardening).

Turns out hand knitted and crocheted items were the flavor of the day as Rosa gave Gus a beautiful blanket that she herself made (come on...amazing!).  Technically it was from her adorable dog, Lola, but I won't tell Gus, if you won't. 

We also received a few receiving blankets and adorable outfits and such.  I even was given the Hope Welcome Baby (Philosophy) set, which will be just what the doctor ordered after coming home from the hospital.

Thank you ladies.  I can't wait to see (and show off) Gus enjoying them all!!!

And finally one last little present, for everyone, a beautifully wrapped little pink box containing a yummy treat from...

Georgetown Cupcake!  Summerilla had ordered these for all of us to enjoy, and iced in light baby blue, with just a hint of femininity in the pink flower, this chocolate cupcake was the perfect end to an amazing day.  :)  Rex and CW even got one (which they devoured, btw).

So that's it!  I hope the cupcakes and yummy comfort food didn't make you all too hungry.  I am actually getting hungry.  Mr. Dina wants to go to this restaurant...so don't be surprised if you see more goodies from it in the future.