|Above: Recent OOTDs. Boden Penny Jersey Dress, Boden Sweater and Mimi Velvet Skirt, and Made by Me Burnout Velvet Dress (with a pair of Boden Julia Heels).|
|First photo of me on the blog. That's CW, aged four months.|
Happy January 15, 2019. For those of you who've been with me a long time, you may remember that I started this blog on January 15, 2009. And I kept it up for a long time without many pauses. Until I stopped. So happy 10 to me? Or not? But either way, it's been ten years, and I felt compelled to at least do ONE blog post on my ten year blog birthday.
I'm still doing my same old, same old, just doing most of it away from the blog.
What's the same:
|Almost all Boden, of course.|
1. I still own, in overabundance, a lot of Boden. It is definitely been trimmed down, but their tall sizing really suits my frame, and works for my lifestyle, so I stick with it. It has gone slightly down hill in comparison with my older Boden pieces (from 2004!), but they are not, in any way, shape, or form, as fast fashion as some companies are today (read: they still line items, add buttons and proper zips, and use higher end fabrics).
|Outside Middendorf's, in Manchac, LA, in December.|
2. I still am very much into my kids, in fact, that may be the #1 contributor to why I don't blog at all anymore. I have so many things I must do with them that I come home from work and their activities and fall into bed! Rex is now almost 12 (!!!), CW is 10, and Angus is 6. Rex is really into Boy Scouts, baseball, and his video games. CW is into acting (she's in her first ever community theater play as I write this), swimming, singing, her friends, and playing the piano and flute. Angus loves bowling, soccer, baseball, swimming, and being social. I remember a few years into my blog that another blog friend would only sporadically blog and she mentioned how tough her four kids made it for her to blog. I didn't fully get it as mine were so small (and one wasn't born), but I fully appreciate it now. The fact she blogged at all has me in awe!
|Munich, Germany April 2018.|
3. I still travel all over the world, and I love it. I wish I could do that 100% of the time, but for now, I'll take it as I can.
4. I still am a History teacher, teaching the same stuff I used to teach when I started the blog way back when!
5. I may only publish to Instagram sporadically, but I do, so still keep in touch with me there.
6. I also still publish posts at the Fabric Mart Fabricista blog. They've kept me all these years, and I still enjoy it. The dress up there on the far right is my latest make, which you can read about here.
1. I definitely wear more than Boden, but not just J. Crew. I branch out way more than I used to, and find myself gravitating towards looser, more casual clothing than ever. Part of that may have to do with my wearing more formal clothing for work and wanting to let loose when not working.
2. I am a big fan of subscription boxes. This was not my style initially, but since starting the first one back in December of last year (2017) (Lookfantastic beauty box), I have since gone on to grab a whole bunch, and definitely look forward to my boxes. It's actually curbed my spending overall, as I find having them come in satisfies my need for "new," and unless I really need something, I hold off. For the most part these boxes are a set price and the retail value is much higher, and that ends up being satisfying, as well. I have found lots of cool beauty, homeware, and clothing this way, and while I may pull back some, the desire for surprises keeps me intrigued. I ended up spending very little on Christmas this year. A whole bunch of my presents came from the boxes, especially for my female relatives and friends, since there would be things in each that I knew they would love more that I did. (One of my friends is into essential oils, so I gave her some essential oil items I received. Another friend really likes makeup, and there were some palettes that were too dark for me, so she received those.)
|A cute top from Golden Tote, and a beanie from some subscription box.|
I don't do many clothing boxes as I am too picky, but I give it up to Golden Tote for really getting my style and shape. They personally reach out to me if they have questions, and I have received a few items that don't work (usually because the hips are too small on me), but in general, lots of winners.
3. I teach at a Catholic school, the one I went to. My kids go there, and that's awesome. I love seeing them. They seem to be okay with it. I give them credit for putting up with my being there all the time. Rex is the most bothered, but even he is just kind of, "oh, mom, leave me alone." Chuckle. I even catch him smiling at me from time to time.
4. I was really sad last year. Like the entire 2017-2018 school year. No one knew. I think I hid it well. It was a tough year, and I felt like no one liked me. I had friends, but I fell into some dark, sad places some days. I questioned it all...was I a good teacher, was I a good mother, why do I even bother, why do none of the people I like email/call/text me back, why does everyone else have friends, etc., etc. I still don't know many of the answers, but because I decided I needed a thicker skin, I decided the answers didn't matter, and that I should just be all, "who cares, I'll figure it out." Thankfully this year is 1100% better.
5. I gained ten pounds last year thanks to my sadness. I am working to lose the weight, but it is really hard being a certain size and not being that size anymore. Of course it all went to my hips and butt. LOL. Thank goodness so many of my clothes are loose skirted dresses. :-)
Will I blog? I don't know. I'm not sure people read fashion/shopping blogs anymore. I do know they read blogs that deal with subscription boxes and sewing, so I may just transition to that, and only mention what I am wearing in captions, and focus my ootd stuff to instagram.
There is also the possibility I may just move to youtube, as well. I mean there is no way on planet earth I would ever be popular on that kind of platform, but I have seen women with similar backgrounds and lifestyles do okay there, and I have filmed myself to see if I can do it, and I am not as shrill or offensive sounding as I thought I might be. I may give it a shot. Who knows? The unboxing and beauty videos are fun to watch and some of the ladies on youtube are pretty awesome. We'll see.
|I like this photo. I shot it while a passenger in the car, lol. I feel like this shows that I am doing well. I am not sure I could have taken a photo like this last year, and am so glad I am doing better. :-)|
I hope all of you are well. I am doing well. I miss everyone. Reach out to me if you feel so inclined. I am still at dinagideon AT aim DOT come.
Let me know how you're doing in the comments, if you'd like.