Thursday, February 19, 2009

Colorful for school...



Since I was colorful and NOT fancy yesterday at school (the walk home was actually really nice), I decided to be Ms. Fancy Pants today. Well not fancy pants, more fancy blazer, but you get my drift.

Above is the polyvore set of my outfit. I love this blazer. The color is amazing in real life, this saturated cobalt blue. The fit is fantastic now that I have lost a few pounds from when I bought it (size 10)...definitely a size UP situation. The material is so soft and so warm (didn't need a coat today). The pants are my trusty surplus chinos in buttercup, a muted mustard yellow. I wear these in a 12, and would say these are a size UP as well (I am now wearing 10s in all the other J. Crew pants). The tee is the sequin placket tee in ivory and it is quite large in a medium. And the V is REALLY LOW, so to save myself from indecency, I used a safety pin to close off the bottom inch (can't even tell). The belt is to cinch in the blazer, and I love the way it turned out. Makes me look tiny in the waist! Love it! And the color, so bright and a great contrast to the blue in the ecole jacket. The shoes are Merona Makenna from Target. They were so inexpensive, yet so stylish. J. Crew would have had a 150 dollar version. Target--29.99 or something like that!

The link to this polyvore is here: http://www.polyvore.com/brights_for_school/set?id=6663390


Here I am wearing it this morning before I left for school.


Here is the close-up of the placket and belt. The safety pin is at the bottom. Eventually I will sew it up, but not now...no time (well except to blog). :)

I love this color but think if only I could be a little bit darker...I look pale here. Whatever! Life goes on...it's not like getting a tan is even an option for me (hello, skin cancer!). I have had multiple relatives get skin cancer so I am in that "high risk--better wear SPF 70 and a hat" category!

11 comments:

HeidiG said...

You look fantastic! I love the color combo!! And the sequins, love them too!

I am totally with you on the SPF 70 and hat combo (side benefit - it protects your hair color if you do that, which I do). My summer friend is L'Occitane's face self tanner. First of all, it doesn't stink. And it's very subtle, so you can do just a little without looking like an orange disco ball (was just reading chloe of chloe conspiracy's latest blog entry - hilarious).

Emily said...

I love the cobalt color. I so pretty. I have the velvet ecole in navy and I wear it all the time. I had to size up too. The shoulders are so narrow.

dinagideon said...

HeidiG: Thank you for your compliment, I love playing with color...and combinations of color (purple with yellow or blue with orange, etc).

Can you believe how high SPFs go nowadays? Soon they will offer SPF 1000 (ha...). I will definitely check the self-tanner you mentioned and head over to chloe's blog!

Emily: The poor ecole jacket had so many dissenters, but I really like mine. I wish I had picked one up in that olive color! I knew as soon as I tried it on in the store, the cobalt ecole was a good fit for me.

I have really narrow shoulders, so for me having to size up says something about how tee-tiny the shoulders are on this jacket!

Slastena said...

Dina: you look spectacular! We must have been on a same wavelenght today as I chose green/blue top and yellow bottoms too!LOL!
The cobalt brings out your gorgeous green eyes- you look so radiant!

A said...

It's true, you and Slastena were on the same wavelength today! These colors look beautiful on you. You've inspired me to pull out my Ecole for tomorrow. :)

dinagideon said...

Slastena: I saw your outfit and meant to comment earlier, and I lost track of time...how funny that we wore almost the same outfit!!! Great minds think alike and all that! :)

A Bigger Closet: Cannot wait to see you in your Ecole...great jacket to pull everything together, huh?

Anonymous said...

Dina
It so nice to read your blog about motherhood and Jcrew! I'm also glad to find someone who is similar in size to myself. I am 5'9 and vary between 145 and 155 depending on the holiday/season ;D
I am sometimes depressed to see all the size 00's and 2's posting their pics on blogs. It is awesome to see someone larger than an 8 wearing Jcrew. Now I know what I would look like in some of these pieces. Much appreciated! Keep up the good work. :)

dinagideon said...

Gwen: Thank you! I love that I can inspire others to look nice even though we are "bigger." :)

The term "bigger" cracks me up, by the way. Being our height, we would be real thin if we wore a 0 or 2. (Not that this is bad--just much smaller than I am!)

You should start a blog, too!

Unknown said...

Love the placket tee w/the blazer. As far as the v staying open, you should get a roll of what I call wardrobe tape. You can find it in the lingerie section where they have small accessories. It's essentially double stick tape that you can put on your clothes for the day. It's the best stuff ever. Certainly beats sewing.

dinagideon said...

Ooh. Gigiofca...yes. I will definitely give that a try. Sewing is time consuming and I have very little time anymore! Thanks for the heads-up!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the blazer - and that is so cool that you belted it. It looks great :) What sort of texture is the placket tee? Is it more sturdy than the ringspuns? It looks really cute on you. The sequins are a great little extra :) I love it!