Thursday, July 3, 2014

OOTD/Review: Embroidered Flower and a Goodbye.

Day: Sunday, June 29, 2014.

Where: Mass and a farewell reception for our favorite priest.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  The outfit was very easy to wear considering how buttoned up it feels and looks.  Remember, I have to spend half of mass keeping Angus outside running around (hence the flat sandals which I reviewed here), so that is telling.  I think it helped that I purchased the size 6 in the Embroidered Flower top (here) instead of a size 4, which would have been too fitted to be comfortable, even though the measurements are technically "my size."

This skirt is from J. Crew a few years back and I had forgotten it was lined.  I need to remember that so I can wear it in the winter with tights.  The colors are seasonless and look just as great in summer as they would in winter.  (And would look really pretty with Boden's last season bright pink Ingrid coat.)

Cool Factor: (4.25 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.) The look is polished and pretty.  The top is trend-friendly while maintaining enough "classic" appeal to work for many years, which is fine considering how much it cost (although I did buy this one at about 35% off back during the catch of the day frenzy in mid-April).

Anecdote from the Day:  The priest who is leaving our parish baptized two of my children, taught two of them in school, help my husband convert to Catholicism, helped me start the moms of young children group at the parish, and was an all around great friend.  We are going to miss him so much.  I didn't cry, but since I know that what he is set to do is literally the perfect job for him, I held the tears back.  It still stings, though, and I look forward to seeing him when he comes back and visits.

Embroidered Flower Top.  Size 6.  Although the measurements for the 4 would have fit me, I knew that something potentially as stiff as this top would be best in a bigger size.  I was right.  It is a stiff cotton/poly organza over top a cotton lining.  It isn't uncomfortable, but drapey it is not.  It is a structured piece, reminscent of pieces that were popular in the 60s.  It held up well through the day because of the fabric, and considering it came with a warning of its delicate nature, it didn't get snagged on anything, which I appreciate, considering my overall clumsiness.  ;-)

It hits me at the high hip, which also means that the 6 was a good choice as this is where my hips get a bit bigger, the size 4 would have been too tight there, although I could unbutton the back buttons at the back if need be.  I think if I had shorter arms, the sleeve hem would have hit at a better place on my arm, but it still looked fine hitting at my elbow.  I know some ladies detest elbow length sleeves, so if you have long arms and don't love that look, this top may not be right for you.

Back view.  I unbuttoned the last button so you can see it can be done and it can look cute.  I don't need to unbutton this last button, but I love that this closure is in this top, very nicely detailed, and I can tell you from experience that this kind of placket closure is very difficult to sew up.  Had it been me, I would have installed an invisible zipper and closed off the bottom bit of the seam instead, 'cause that kind of placket takes a whole lot less time.  So if you are wondering why the high price...there you go...craftsmanship/materials/tailoring.

Embroidered Flower Top
HAVING SAID THAT, this exact blouse (in pink) will be 50% off starting Sunday...unless you have early access to the sale through the Boden preview site (more on that in this post).  I think 50% off is a nice price for what you receive, and if you have a need for pink organza floral embroidered fancy top, then there you go.  LOL.

Okay that's it for now.  Will have more reviews over the next few days to ensure I get them all published before the big sale starts!

Have a great Thursday night, and an early Happy Independence Day for my fellow American blog friends!