Sunday, December 23, 2012

Boden, Pure Collection, Lands' End: Some of My Picks...So Much on Sale.


Hi, all.  Thank you for your wonderful thoughts and comments this past week.  I obviously had a good reason for my absence from blogging, but I still felt bad that I couldn't get updates done.  At all.  I even attempted to do this post on Friday from my kindle fire (we spent the day all over Northern Virginia--literally--we were in all the counties, which if you know NOVA, that is a lot of traveling).  But my attempts to successfully write this on my mobile device were thwarted by my general malaise (so. run. down.) and the fact that blogger has a horrible interface for mobile updates.  (But I do like blogspot's mobile site for those blogs that run it--I prefer reading some blogs in the mobile format, cleaner, neater, more user-friendly.)

Anyhow, I am now nearly all better, so I am going to capitalize on my fresh feeling and write this post (and maybe more, we'll see) and update my facebook page.

Okay, so in the world of end of season sales, all three of my affiliates are having some pretty good deals.

The best of the bunch are from Boden, but conversely, Boden also has some of the worst deals out there, too.  It all depends on what you want.  Boden has done their SECOND cuts, which is fab, but as many fans of Boden pointed out on Boden's facebook page, some of the second cuts were for a few dollars, which seemed puzzling to them.  That said, I personally noted a few that were significantly reduced, so I guess it all depends.

Pure Collection isn't stupid and realizes that its cashmere is the best of the bunch (besides higher end cashmere offerings from design houses and Brora), so you are only going to see a slight reduction in their cashmere.  However, any discount on their items is worth it, since all of their clothing is well made, beautiful, and made from the best fabrics possible.  There are a few items that are on redonk sale and are not selling.  I can't figure out why, but it may be that the items were styled poorly or they are of limited life in one's closet (meaning the cost per wear isn't worth the purchase).

Lands' End always has great sales through the season, so I am barely aware of their current sale because it isn't like I am all, "ooh, I can get X for so much less than I did when I got it for 40% off and free shipping."  However, if you have had your eye on an item from them and it is at a good price right now, it may be worth it to buy since most consumers hear or read "End of Season" and buy the place out.

From Boden:
Embellished Cardigan
Embellished Cardigan.  I have and love this cardigan.  I have already worn it a handful of times, so clearly I thought the 20% off I paid was good enough.  Now that it is at 50% off, it is a really good deal in my mind.  Of course this one may be of limited use in your closet, which may be the reason it is just sitting there, well rated, yet not purchased.  I last wore it here, with one of my favorite outfits of late.

Sarah Dress
Sarah Dress.  I have the color that is all sold out, but if you like the general look of the dress, its $40 price is decent for what you receive.  It is very wearable, definitely can be dressed up, but is a dress that would be fine in mid-summer with a pair of sandals and a ponytail.

Paisley Print Dress
Paisley Print Dress.  I do not have this yet, but have decided to give it a try (with full knowledge that I may need to return if it doesn't work out).  I took the reviews to heart and ordered a size 8 in the thunder paisley (the grey one).  The dress is 70% off and beautiful, so if it does work out, I will consider my buy a score.  And since I still wear dresses from ten years ago (without apology--if I love the design and shape--I hold onto pieces forever), I will happily add this to my bursting dress wardrobe.  :)

Millie Spot Top
Millie Spot Top.  If you love sweatshirts that you can just throw on and go, but still want to look like you are trying, this is a good possibility...with a caveat.  I sized down to the 4 (normally wear a 6) and could have gone all the way down to a 2.  So if you are especially small on top, this may be far too big.  Slouchy is good, and the 4 gives me some slouch, but there is slouchy, and then there is sloppy.  If you wear a size 00P in J. Crew, you should be wary of this one.  At $29 it is a great buy if you will wear it often.  I don't often wear my sweatshirts on the blog, but most days, before I head out for the day, or after I get home, I will be in my lounge wear, which includes many sweatshirts and many leggings and pj pants.

From Pure Collection:
Wool Crepe Woven T-Shirt
Wool Crepe Woven T-Shirt.  I absolutely adore the model in this top.  The mallard color looks divine on her, and the loose look suits her frame.  So color me puzzled on why this top is not selling well.  It looks like it is the perfect example of a staple, especially if you work in a conservative office.   The cherry color is also lovely, a perfect red, with no hints of blue or yellow.  Anyhow, at $43, this is a very good deal.  I don't have a need for this in my wardrobe, but can see that this may work well for many of you.  :)

Cashmere Rib Snood
Cashmere Rib Snood.  Does anyone else salivate over the cashmere snoods they have at J. Crew, but can't stomach the prices (even on sale, they seem really really expensive)?  I saw this one at Pure a few weeks ago and had a ten dollar gift certificate (plus 25% off), so I bit on the heather biscuit color (now sold out, but watch for popbacks).  I don't have a winter scarf like this in a great neutral shade, so it seemed like a no-brainer.  The scarf arrived on Friday and since it was really cold in the house, I wore my "lounge" outfit with this scarf and my Cashmere Wrap from Boden.  I was toasty and happy in mere minutes.  It was exactly what I needed after the long day we had running around town.  The $55 this snood costs is a good buy, especially when comparison shopping against other companies offerings.

From Lands' End:
Women's Ellery Wedge Shoes - Mink Brown, 9H
Ellery Wedge Shoes.  There are no reviews on this versatile leather shoe in really pretty colors, but I think, based on my one pair of shoes from them (Blakely Riding boots, reviewed here), you probably won't go wrong in purchasing them in your usual size and width.  They are 55% off (if I am doing the math correctly). 

Women's French Terry Crew  - Black Jaspe, S
French Terry Crew.  I can't believe they still have this sweatshirt.  I have and have worn this sweatshirt multiple times since buying it in May.  I even wore it out of the house (halfway down in that post), so it is can work as something other than "dinagideon wants to be lazy" wear.

Women's Two-tone Sweater Dress - True Navy/Charcoal Heather, S
Two Tone Sweater Dress.  At 50% off, this all merino wool offering looks like it would be the perfect foil for accessories, and I personally would add a elastic belt with sparkles (like this one from Loft), a fun scarf (the Westminster Silk Scarf is a good one, and goes with so much), colorful tights (maybe a gold or red to play off the colors of the silk scarf), and riding boots (the darker version of the Blakely Riding Boots would work--too bad those ones aren't on sale).  This dress, btw, reminds me of the Alexa dress from Boden, so if you like that one but don't think the shape works for you, this may be a better bet.

Okay, that's it!  Do any of you have any favorites from these three companies that you would like to share?