Wednesday, October 16, 2013

OOTDs: Puff Sleeves and Pelicans.








Day: Sunday, October 13, 2013.

Where: Anniversary lunch at Oyamel and a trip to the Corcoran Art Museum, one of the only things that is still open while the government is shut down. 

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Well, we walked quite a bit and the whole outfit held up well to the slight drizzle and wind that overtook the area this weekend.  There was a bit of wrinkling on the dress, but that comes after sitting for a bit, so no biggie.  The Heeled Loafer was very comfortable, and having added the inserts to make them fit just a bit better (original review here) was a blessing in disguise since they provided extra cushioning for our long walk.

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.) I think this dress, a Paul & Joe pelican printed silk frock that I got for a great price on sale last year from Net-a-Porter, was styled much cooler when I wore in New York City last April.  It still looked very pretty for my date with my husband and our son (lol, there's a date companion), but not as chic.  Mr. Dina liked it, though, especially since he went to college at Tulane in New Orleans, and pelicans are big down in Louisiana.  (They recently renamed the New Orleans basketball team the "Pelicans.")

Anecdote from the Day:  We were married 12 years ago.  Gracious.  :-)

That dress gave me a bit of a heartache since I had always planned to wear it out for our anniversary lunch.  I thought I had hung it up after we came home from NYC in April, but after searching three separate closets (I have some off season storage), I couldn't find it anywhere.  Then I had the horrible thought that I had cleaned it at the dry cleaners and had left it there, but couldn't for the life of me remember leaving it there.  Then Mr. Dina suggested gently looking for it in the suitcase since it was possible I left it in there.  I just scoffed, tears ready to be shed over the loss of my pretty pretty dress, and looked there.  And he was right, there it was all nestled so in a garment bag in the front pocket of the suitcase.  :-)


Day: Saturday, October 12, 2013.

Where: G Street Fabrics for a class on how to work with vinyl, leather, and other "difficult" fabrics. 

Ease of Wear: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) I like the outfit, but I guess I take a bit of an issue with the thinness of the Johnnie b. Harem Pants (there is a size 13-14 left, I took these in a 15-16) since I feel like they should be made from a bit thicker of a fabric if they are going to be for bottoms.  That said, they are really meant more for summer, so I can see the thinking behind the decision.

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.) I love the outfit all done up with the trench coat and the bag, but the outfit without those two pieces is a bit meh.

Anecdote from the Day:  I love the G Street fabrics $2.97 remnant table SO much.  They have the most gorgeous fabrics shipped down from the fabric stores in New York all the time.  When I was there for that class, I grabbed a lovely poly (which I normally detest, but figure this one can be lined to take away some of the potential static that comes with it) in a sage green color with dandelions blowing in the wind.  There was also some yummy knit cottons, perfect for continuing how to figure out how to sew up my own tee-shirts.  (I made one already, and it turned out okay.)



Day: Saturday, April 20, 2013.

Where: Day out in NYC with my little lady--going to see Cinderella (Broadway show) and dinner out with our good friends, Marietta and her husband, A. 

Ease of Wear: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Besides the shoes, I did great walking all around NYC, since given the preference, I would rather walk than take the subway.  CW did great, too, but she was just four when we went, so by the time we were walking on the Upper East Side to meet Marietta, she was a little (maybe a lot) bit tired. 

I did end up changing right before my walk to the restaurant, but only into a pair of pants and a lace tee (didn't get a photo of that outfit), so the shoes stayed on my feet.  I will know better for next time.  ;-)

Cool Factor: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.) This is one of my favorite outfits ever.  I think I prefer the dress unbelted and tied up at the neck with the self-belt.  The Draycott Coat is fine, but maybe I will try another topper the next time I wear this out and about.

Anecdote from the Day:  Poor CW, the first scene of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella included a scary forest scene and she kind of freaked out.  I knew that the rest of the musical would be all flowers, rainbows, and happy sunshine, but of course she didn't.  It took a lot of convincing (quietly, of course) to assure her that the rest of the musical would be fine and she would really enjoy herself since she was ready to bolt.  :-P

And it was fine, she was positively swooning over Cinderella by the end of the show.

Okay, that's it for today!  I hope everyone is having a great Wednesday.

BTW, I am taking all these skirts to the consignment shop tomorrow (well, the ones not sold), so if you wanted one of them, let me know today.  :-)