Friday, January 10, 2014

OOTDs: Keeping Warm.

Happy Friday!  Not much to say but I do hope that everyone is keeping warm if they are in the US or Canada.  It warmed up a bit here today, but by a bit I mean freezing rain and high 30s, so not exactly balmy.  :-P

Two recent outfits are in today's post.  One is from yesterday, the other from Tuesday when our highs barely reached the teens, which is insanely cold for this region.




Day: Thursday, January 10, 2014.

Where: Target, School pickup, and Little Gym for the two oldest kids.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear) I felt so comfortable and quite warm in this whole ensemble.  Everything fits exactly as it should and the layering helped me regulate my comfort level.  I kept the coat on for most of the day, but since it gets warm at the Little Gym, I ended up in the cardi/top/skirt outfit and kept my coat in the car.

The boots are the Dinah Mid-Boots from Anthropologie.  I ordered them on a whim in a size 9 (since that is what I usually wear from the Miss Albright brand--they run large).  I fell in love with them upon seeing them in real life, the bow at the side is twee, yes, but not overly so.  They feel more snug than other Miss Albright shoes I own, but nothing awful.  If given the opportunity to buy the Dinah boots in a 9.5, they might fit better (especially with thick socks), but even if all I wear with them are tights or thin socks, that's cool, too.  They seem to be sold out now, but watch for popbacks.

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.) This is a decent outfit.  Nothing so spectacular that the Sartorialist is gonna come and beg me to pose for him, but presentable and pretty. 

A lot of you have mentioned liking the coat I am wearing in the above photo.  That is the Alabaster tweed coat from J. Crew.  It came out in the Holiday 2008 season, and I was able to get it on ebay one day when I saw it for a pretty decent price. If you can ever get your hands on it, I highly recommend it.  They had a girls version and I would love to get it for CW, but so far, no luck.

Anecdote from the Day:  I have recently decided to try knitting because I like having things to do while I am just sitting around waiting, which I do a whole lot of in my life (nature of the beast for stay at home types).  Anyhow, the Craftsy class "Knit Lab" actually taught me how to knit.  I am TERRIBLE at it, but I know with practice I will get better.  And since I quite like the repetitive motion of it (reminds me of swimming laps, very calming), I have chosen to get to my kids' school forty minutes early to wait for them since Angus can watch the video player (hey, Boo Bah!) and I can knit. 

I don't want my first project on display since it is so ugly and made from a really crap acrylic yarn, but Rex is adamant that he will wear the scarf everyday, so I am expected to give it to him.  I said, "it isn't pretty, though."  He looks at me and is all, "Momma, I don't like to wear pretty things."  Ha!  Touché, son, touché.

Day: Tuesday, January 4, 2014.

Where: Harris Teeter and the School run.

Ease of Wear: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear) Points off because in flipping cold weather I have to wear a super thick parka (even if it is cute--see it here in this photo) and the millions of layers below it to keep warm.  Harris Teeter was fine for the most part, but I started sweating in the pharmacy area since it was so hot.  The pharmacists were in shorts sleeves, that should tell you how warm they felt.

Cool Factor: (2.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.) I don't know.  It's okay.  I think the hair and the boots look good, and I love my CoH jeans, but B-O-R-I-N-G. 

Anecdote from the Day:  I grocery shopped and picked the kids up.

I also talked to the butcher fella, who is really awesome and cool.  He went to the same high school as me, but was kicked out as a freshman over something really benign.  I remember that...they were so strict and we were expected to toe the line, else get kicked out ourselves.  I don't think it is quite that strict anymore.  My grade school (where the kids go) is still far stricter than other neighborhood public schools, but way way way less harsh than when I was a student there.  Lucky kids, lol.

Alrighty, that's all.  Have a great rest of your day!