Before I start, I want to extend a very big thank you to everyone who left me a kind message, prayed for us, or reached out to me either by email or facebook or text. All of your words and thoughts are very special to me, and are helping to "bind my heart," as one of the commenters wrote yesterday. It is a slow process, healing, but one that I know will happen. I wish I didn't have experience with heartbreak, but dealing with the awful certainly prepares you for whatever you are handed in life. I sent the oldest two off to school this morning and part of healing will come from routine, and there certainly is nothing more routine-driven than school. :-) Anyhow, don't want to dwell too long on it all, but I didn't want to not show my appreciation for all of the love I have been shown over the past day and a half.
A little while back I sewed up two summer pieces in very quick succession. For me, this was a huge success, considering how slowly I typically sew things up. Granted these two patterns are not especially hard to get cut out and sewn up, but considering it took me a month to sew up this skirt, I wasn't betting on actually getting these two pieces done in any timely manner. But I got a little bee in my bonnet and managed. ;-)
I will focus on the tee construction first and then the shorts, but I do want you to know that I am skimming over the nitty-gritty details of sewing it up and instead asking you to visit my pattern review for both items for more on the process of sewing, at this post I will focus more on the visual evidence of what was done, the styling aspect, and sizing info.
Pattern Review for Burda 6910.
Pattern Review for Butterick 5044.
The shorts fabric is an ikat fabric I found as a remnant at Joann's. I thought it was so pretty and different, and at $9, I knew I could play around with it without feeling bad if I screwed up. In the end, I could have used a bit more fabric since I had barely enough to eek out a 3.5" inseam. I had to do a very narrow hem on the shorts, and while it isn't awful, I know that a thicker hem would look better.
cover art of the pattern.
see this photo for proof of that) is there, but it is SUPPOSED to be there. Yay!
The shorts look awesome from the back. It is rare for me to like my back view in shorts. I am going to sew this pattern up again just because I like the back view so much. (With a few small changes implemented, though.)
Having said that all, I am very proud of this tee, even if it wasn't a slam dunk in fit. I was able to construct this top perfectly using my serger and my sewing machine, and on both the inside and outside, it looks ready to wear, which is pretty darn cool.
"Sewing Fashion Knits" class, lesson 7 on edge finishes (specifically ready-to-wear bindings). It worked like a charm, and looks like it is supposed to...on the top. If only the neckline had been small enough to lay flat against the body. (There is a lot of speculation that the neckline binding was drafted too larger for the neckline to properly lay flat. If it were a bit smaller than the neckline, then it would lay flat. I did cut this neckline one size smaller, and then added another inch on top of that just to be sure, but even all of that was not enough. Sigh.)
The pockets are fun and were very easy to add onto the shorts themselves. Definitely make sure you mark where they belong, though...without those markings it would have been impossible to figure out where to add them.
Okay, that's all for now. Hopefully I will get back to sewing up my last pair of shorts for the summer soon. Thankfully VA always has a fairly warm September/early October, so I should be able to bust those out at least a bit, even though I didn't get them sewn up earlier.