Tuesday, September 8, 2009

August 12, 2009 (aka Rex's 2 1/2 Birthday)...

We are so into birthdays in this household that we happily celebrate half-birthdays, too. Yeah, I recognize the inherent lame-ness of it all, but well, that's us...a little bit lame. :)

Rex turned 2 1/2 on August 12, 2009. We celebrated during the day by going to the pool, and at night, we went to McDonald's and then to Toys R Us. (Wouldn't have been my first choice, but when you are 2 1/2, McDonald's and Toys R Us are the pinnacle of fun...esp. when they have happy meals with toys--whee!)

And because I eagerly anticipate any sort of celebration, you got it, I dressed up to go out to McDonald's and Toys R Us. You would have seen these outfits sooner, but if I recall, the next day my post had a comment from Mr. or Ms. Negative Jerk-Face commenter, and it kind of shut down my desire to post any fashion for a little bit. (But I am obviously back, and have been, and really wanted to get these outfits posted before it got any further into the fall season.)


Here is the polyvore for the whole day...from pool (on the left) to ultra-fancy McD's and TRU (right). Yes, Mr. Dina was a little amazed I was wearing a strapless dress and pearls out, but I think he got over it when I glared at him. ;)


Here is my day look...the Trastevere tunic from the outlet that I won on ebay (actually received a second chance offer) in a small, the khaki bermuda shorts from regular J. Crew, the twist back swimsuit in pacific from J. Crew, and the carina sandals in silver, also from J. Crew.

There is CW crawling around...sometimes they find their way into the pics (which I love...so cute)!


Okay, so here is the McD's/TRU outfit...the strapless jersey dress in a dark charcoal (may have been an in-store only color) belted with a cream leather skinny belt, and some sandals from ebay that are J. Crew (I think last summer--2008?).

I will be honest with you...I love the way this looks, but there is a whole lot of fashion tape being used to hold this dress up. For all of you who own this, do you have any secrets on how to hold this up better? I want to wear this more, but right now I am limited to wearing it only for a few hours at a time because the fashion tape only lasts that long. Hmm...if you have any ideas, I will forever be grateful!


I bought this button-up shirt specifically to wear as a lightweight jacket/cover-up. Crazily enough, while I can wear a 6 or even a 4 in some of J. Crew's jackets, I can barely get into a size 8 button-up shirt because the area of the shirt near the hips is always too tight to button up completely. Ergh! This shirt is the worst offender, by the way...the top 1/2 fits PERFECTLY, but the bottom 1/2 is WAY TOO small. So lucky for me, I only wanted to wear it open.

For those of you considering the ruffle front liberty art perfect blouse from J. Crew this season, go for it if you have larger hips...they have finally sized their tops to work on both the top and bottom halves of us pears. (Finally...)

Have a great day...enjoy yourselves and don't work too hard!

Oh, and P.S.: I found my diary from high school...man, it is BAD. Terrible. Completely hilarious, but truly awful. I will be working up the courage to bring you dina's dramatic diary...just give me a few more days...

15 comments:

Christina said...

Love how you paired the belt with the dress. I have both of those and I'm definitely going to do that next time I wear it. Thanks!

Unknown said...

You look really good. I love the belt & pearls w/the dress. I think the strapless dress just slides. I tug on mine. I don't like doing that as it feels tacky, but it's been the best solution so far. I don't know if wearing the right strapless bra would fix the issue.

AppGal said...

The Sanur dress looks amazing with the belt and pearls! I just love how you can dress it up or down.

I have to use fashion tape too when I wear mine. Although I've found that it helps if you wear it the other way, with the top folded over and the skirt slightly shorter. It doesn't fall down as much that way, but of course, then you're wearing a shorter dress...(doesn't work at school!) Fashion tape is amazing. Although, you know...I was using some the other day, and I don't know if my skin was just extra-sensitive that day or what, but when I took my dress off that afternoon, a little bit of my skin came with it! It was so bizarre! Just on one side too...It was very painful!

Anyway, cute outfits, as always. I love when your children pop in and out of your pics. They are too adorable for words...

Cate said...

very cute outfits!. i have the sanur dress and i too usually just tug on it... annoying but i love the dress!

My friends and I found my old diaries when they were helping me pack for med school... ohmigod was i dramatic... and it was only like 7 years ago!

Anonymous said...

Very cute outfit. I loved that dress. It's funny to see the kids in the background, they just seem to be having a good time.

Summerilla said...

You look fabulous in these outfits especially the strapless dress!! You're rockin' it mamma!

Dina can I just say you always look so radiant and gorgeous in your IRL photos.

kristin said...

WOW! That dress looks great! Love the whole outfit!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Thank you for the SWEET birthday wishes!! You blessed my heart with your comment.

Anna said...

i love the look with the belt! i'll try that next time i wear it..


i have a big chest so i pull the dress up a little higher and fold over a couple inches or so at the top. i feel like it keeps me more covered that way and it may work for holding it up better for you!

good luck!

jcmama said...

I love the way you styled the Sanur dress with the belt. To this day my a big regret I have is passing up the Sanur dress during FS at my B&M...I figured I would only wear it around the house... I love the way you styled it with the necklace too!

Thank you for your ideas on the baptism outfits. I like the idea of kind of matching with your DD. I'm going to look into some of the dresses you referred to. Hope you have a great blessed day for your CW's baptism coming this month. Btw, your kids are adorable!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

Love the Sanur dress on you and how you paired it with the belt. I agree that the dress just slides...I tug on mine, too. :) Have a great afternoon!

A said...

You look great in both outfits Dina. I have the same problem with strapless dresses, so can't offer helpful suggestions on how to make it stay up better. The dress is so pretty but I had to pass on it myself. :)

J.CrewJD said...

I have the same problem with that dress. Definitely have to use tape. I tape it to my strapless bra and keep my fingers crossed!

I love both outfits... very nice! You look gorgeous in the dress/pearls combo :)

dinagideon said...

Hey guys! I really appreciate everyone's comments! I am a bit tired tonight (9/10/09) and I can't give everyone's comments personal attention! :(

Oh, I am glad to know that you all are having issues with the strapless dress...if I figure it out, I will let you all know!

Have a great night, all!

3-Penny Princess said...

Whoa, that dress looks fab on you! Love that color, and love you belted it with that cream belt. Great outfit! Even if it's just to impress Micky D's employees.:)

And by the way, Micky D's and Toys R Us are the pinnacle of fun when you're little. I don't remember how I celebrated most of my childhood birthdays, but I will always remember my 6th birthday party with my friends at McDonald's. Nothing wrong with a good thing!