Thursday, September 17, 2009

Haircut and Some New Glasses! (Plus Evening Primrose Cardi Makes Its Debut!)

Yes, yes, yes, the new arrivals are over at jcrew.com. And no, no, no, I just can't even think about getting any of them because...a) I don't really have any money (gotta start my for sale blog...that blog may be my only way to earn any money to buy new pretties), and b) I took a peek at the new arrivals and for the first time, ever, was underwhelmed. I saw three things that were okay (not even awesome)...which may just mean this is the first month in a long time I am not going to get anything from J. Crew. (That said, I went to the outlet this weekend and there are some really pretty things for sale there...)

Okay...in order of my liking them, here are the three things I like: Terra paisley shift dress (I love almost everything this model wears, though...huh...); Beaded ribbon-front top; and the vineyard necklace.

Now, here are some things to ponder about some of the new items and the models that are showcasing them...
1) What happened to her arm? YIKES! Did she break it? And look, it still ISN'T healed!
2) Okay, hon, your mouth is open and here in Virginia (esp. in the summer), you just don't do that or flies are gonna use your mouth as a home. Yuck.
3) Oh, my GOODNESS. This dress is AWFUL.

Okay...that's enough...back to my post. Yes, I got a haircut (about two weeks ago)...nothing dramatic, but enough to make a difference. And yes, I wear contacts and glasses, so I got new glasses and contacts. It has been FOREVER since the last time I went to the eye doctor. Supposedly your eyes change shape when you are pregnant and so you are advised NOT to go to the eye doctor until after your pregnancies. Well, I have been either pregnant or nursing for the past three years and realized I hated not being able to see well (my prescription is old), plus when I was pregnant with REX (so a long, long time ago), I fell and broke my glasses (I was hurt way MORE than Rex, thank God) and never got a replacement pair, so there you go.

I will also show you all what the evening primrose cardi looks like in real life, in an actual outfit. I reviewed it here, but even with our cooler temps (very odd for here in September), it still isn't cool enough for sweaters (except today...it is chilly out). I wore this cardi to church so that I could be more conservative, my church is one of the most conservative in this area, so I am used to being very careful in my outfits.


Only teasing...no haircut. No, no, now I am kidding...this is the before picture. I am wearing all J. Crew, from necklace to sandals. The necklace is the antique gold manor necklace, the top is a silk pleated top in tea rose from spring 2009, the shorts are the stretch summerweight bermudas in tulip, and the sandals are the posie sandals (also spring 2009) in caramel.

I went tonal in top and bottom and necklace and shoes. I like this bright pink with a softer, yet still saturated pink. The bronze/caramel accents are nice to help mute the brightness a bit.


And here it is, my new bob haircut. I LOVE IT! I love that I don't have hair sitting on my neck, I love that it is thinned out, and I love that I can really wash and go and not do much more than put some serum in my hair, brush, and there you are...when it dries, I put an additional serum in to stop frizzing. So far it has worked well. I KNOW I have to maintain it once every eight weeks or so. And because I am officially in love with my sweet, mothering hairdresser (plus the shop is really close to wear Mr. Dina gets his hair cut), I will have no problem going back in early November. And this haircut...30 dollars. Yep, 30 dollars. Well, I added 10 for the tip, but come on, 40? That's a great price for what I got!


Here is the polyvore for the outfit I wore to church (with the evening primrose cardigan).


I love this simple, grey stretch jersey (AppGal, it's calling your name) dress from Ann Taylor Loft. However, it shows some skin, so I had to put the cardigan on top.

The glasses are by Jones New York, and they are a brown horn color. I have a narrow face, and it is quite long, so I am limited in what looks good as far as glasses. The shape must be rounded like an egg sitting on its side and the frame mustn't be too thick. The ends of the frames must extend past my cheekbones a bit (to give my face more width). There were maybe five glasses that worked in the entire store. It was a very tiring day trying to figure out which ones to buy. I do love these glasses. My brother says I look like a lovely librarian in them. Ah, how sweet!


And here I am...in action, even, with the cardi on. I am stepping over Rex to get to the camera to take it from Mr. Dina, and oh, that card, he took a picture. Out of the MILLIONS of these ridiculous shots he has taken in the past year, this is the only one that has turned out well. I do feel a bit "model-like" because of the general feel of the photo (not because I feel I should be a model). That said, doesn't the cardigan look great with the dress?

So that is all for now. I meant to do a quick post, and again, what do you know, I just ramble and ramble. :)

I have updated my last post, by the way, to include some reviews of the dressy jersey ruffle neck dress. Turns out Gigiofca and some other folks have reviewed it for their blogs, too!

Have a great day, all!

32 comments:

amy kelinda said...

You look great with the bob! I like it, and I agree that a great haircut is worth every penny. The cardigan looks lovely on you, and I like how you went for a dark and romantic color palette with the dress too!

Kristin said...

Mrs Dina, you are just so beautiful! Everything is lovely, esp the new haircut.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great haircut, and nice outfits too.

Patina said...

you look so beautiful. I love your new haircut. dont you just love the manor stone necklace?????

Summerilla said...

I love love love the new hair cut! Now I really want to get mine cut.

Love the outfits too but I'm just so wowed by the awesome haircut at the moment!

GingerSnap said...

You look so fabulous! I love your new haircut and your new glasses! You definitely need to maintain that cut - it looks devine on you! (have you thought about bangs? - I bet you'd look really cute with them!)

P.S. I love your model picture! You are so cute!!!

kater said...

hi dina - love the haircut!

I just got this scarf today and had to let you know. You got me on a liberty print kick and it is soooooo cute! and reasonably priced! Let me know if you decide to try it!

Kathy said...

I love the haircut and the glasses, both are so flattering! And of course, I love the Dr. Scholls, my very favorite shoe from my teen years. I had almost every color, back when we could buy them at CVS and only CVS! And they were always $14.99.

Cloggsy said...

LOVING the hair, you gorgeous thing!

AppGal said...

Ooh, we are like, bob twins now! You look soooo pretty with the new hair cut! Love, love, love it. It really suits you. I love mine...so easy to style and takes sooo much less time to blow dry! ahh!

Your ponderings made me laugh out loud. Someone needs to find that girl a doctor, STAT! I am not loving these new poses. I think all of us in j.crew bloggy-land need to make fun of them by doing our own odd poses. As in, okay, this is how j.crew wants us to pose? Here you go! How funny would that be? :)

Betsy said...

cute hair!

Simply JCrew said...

You look stunning in grey the dress with the primrose cardigan… and I love your new haircut…

Anonymous said...

OMG, I love that dress and the cardi. Adorable!
You know, I see your concerns about the model with what seems to be a broken arm, but, it might be her signature pose, like Zoolander's "Blue Steel" pose. Oh I love that movie!
Anyway, I was laughing so hard with your comments over the new looks. And I agree with you about that dress, it's so ugly!!!

Pamela said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME HAIRCUT! if I may be so bold, i think it makes you look soooo young-in a good way! Not that you were looking old at all, but it's amazing what a good haircut can do for you! I love the last picture where it's swingy! LOVE IT!!!

Marietta said...

Dina, I LOVE your haircut, it is a fabulous look for you! :-) So funny, I wore the evening primrose cardi for the first time today, it was chilly here in NY! I stopped by ATL for their 30% off customer appreciation promo, and a couple of the SAs there loved the cardi, and thought it was theirs! When I told them it was JC, they were like "Oh, JC is copying us!".... which I thought was funny, because I think it's the other way around!

Anonymous said...

Luvee the sharp stylish haircut, love the glasses--and love the unexpected perfect picture of you stepping over Rex--very graceful!

Julia said...

Dina! Your hair looks BEAUTIFUL! I really like it, it's so flattering!

I completely agree with the links that you had to the jcrew pictures....what is with that broken arm pose?! hehe

Belinda K said...

Gorgeousness! LOVE the new haircut - you look fab!!

Barb said...

You look adorable - love your hair, and the new glasses.

Julia said...

PS Dina, I have made my blog private but I would like for you to be on my list of people who have permission to read it!! Please email me at sparklecupcake84@gmail.com so I can add you to the list :)

Ann said...

Dina--the "new you" looks fabulous!! thanks for showing us!

tm said...

aww, your hair looks so nice!

umm I want your bedazzled dr. scholl's sandals! I had a mustard colored pair (minus the bling) in high school, and wore the heck out of them.

tm said...

oh, and I really like that model in the paisley dress, too. she is my favorite JC model, in fact!

AppGal said...

oh! I forgot to add...you have tapped into my siren call of jersey dresses. I think I actually tried this one on at ATL. I really liked it but for some reason talked myself out of buying it. Darn conscience! :)

jmpb said...

Love the new haircut! Love the the dress and primrose cardi! You look great!

tm said...

At first I thought your glasses were the olive green jcrew ones... they look similar.

Cate said...

oooh love the haircut! SUch a cute outfit! Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it :)

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

Oh Dina, I absolutely LOVE your new haircut! You just look absolutely gorgeous! :)

Cleo said...

The new haircut is so chic, classy, and you chose the perfect glasses. Interesting that you know what style works best for your face. Like you, i have needed new glasses for a while and finally found a pair. I think they look "face-appropriate." :)

The outfit is so cute, Dina. Very flattering. I need to go shopping with you.

Graceybug said...

The haircut looks great! I love it on you. I love the cardi on you and now I want it. I have similiar coloring. I also miss my glasses. . .I got lasik to correct my very badly limited vision.

Also, I am reminded that I wanted another pair of Dr. Scholls. I love them. I have a pair that is almost 8 years old that I still wear all the time. I think they are comfy enough & give my muscle woman calves a much needed boost with clunky sole.

dinagideon said...

Hi, All!

Unfortunately I can only make general comments back today because our weekend was crazy (but in a really good way, all celebration)...but I will answer any questions/comments that were put out there.

I am so glad to know you all love the haircut and glasses. I struggle with both my hair and my glasses because of my funny shaped head and face, but once I find the right look, I know I am golden!!! I had a gut feeling the cut and glasses worked, but having you all give your stamp of approval really helped seal the deal!

Patina: That manor necklace is so wonderful...over the top, yes, but also a really perfect neutral addition to some many outfits!

Gingersnap: Oooh, I so want bangs, but I am very worried about them...but you know what? In five weeks when I go in for my next cut, I will get a long fringe that can be swept to the side. Cookie magazine has a great version of my haircut, but with bangs, so I may bring that in as inspiration for the hairstylist! :)

Kater: OMG, what a cute scarf...I will definitely be checking it out...probably the next time Anthro has a free ship offer...the scarf is perfect!!! Thank you!

Tastymoog: I have WANTED those green selima for j. crew glasses forever, so knowing that my glasses look like those frames excites me!!! :) YAY!

Have a nice (and not a manic) Monday!

MCC said...

You look absolutely gorgeous in your new hair pic! It's perfect on you!