Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Indiana, Plus Pennsylvania (or Part 2 of Our Insanely Long Vacation with Kids)!

First--if you missed part one of our journey (and I have a suspicion some of you did--I published on Sunday night--the dead hour of blog writing, evidently), please visit here...it highlights the beginning of our insanely long trip with kids (10 days, one car, two car seats, eight states) to North Carolina and Georgia.


Second--here is a reminder of the polyvore from the first set, but to save energy and time, I consolidated them into one large set.

Third--and this is just pure laziness on my part, I did NOT make any separate polyvores for the individual outfits because I really wanted to concentrate on seeing my best friend Lynn (who I was visiting in Indiana and have not seen in two years) and not on playing grown up paper dolls (although it is a great time waster when trying to avoid real work--heehee)!


So on our first day in Indiana, I knew I wanted to be casual, comfortable, and yet, somewhat dressed up. What better than an Xhiliration sundress? I always have to wear a size large in Xhiliration (it is a juniors brand), although I could have *maybe* bought a medium. Whatever, it looks fine. BTW, these sandals are not in my polyvore because I bought them in Ann Taylor Loft in Tennessee, but decided to wear them on some of the later days of the trip. These sandals have a bee critter on the strap--just like J. Crew of old--so if J. Crew won't do it, I will buy from those who do!

BTW, doesn't my friend Lynn look BEAUTIFUL? And she is all natural in this photo! (Wait till you see her all dressed and made up for her wedding--GAH! Gorgeous!


The second day I decided to finally wear this Boden top that I got for a ridiculous amount on sale. I fell in love with the pattern way back in April but held off buying and it worked to my favor. :) Yay!

The shorts are from J. Crew, years ago, like spring 2006 or something. The shoes are the Pretty Laidy wedge sandal from Aerosoles (and may be the most versatile pair of sandals I own, they go with pretty much everything...and I paid 30 bucks or something like that...crazy).

I made this pose because I was teaching Lynn how to do the "Skinny" pose. HeidiG. says that I look skinniest (and most people do) when you swivel your hips to face the side and turn your upper body to the camera. It is true...not that I can do this pose every time...but it does work to slim me down. ;)


Okay, fast forward to the next day...we went to where Lynn's wedding was going to be a day early...have to have foresight with two small kids...and while waiting for everyone to arrive on Saturday, all four of us just kind of chilled in very rural Indiana (her wedding was a "bit" off the beaten track). I wore this outfit...I have felt bad for this sleeveless sweater for some time...I bought it last summer (2008) and I have worn it maybe twice. And, look, it is citron! What's wrong with me? Well, I apologized to it by wearing it the whole day before the wedding started! It is cashmere, but that real lightweight summerweight knit that they do so well...


You remember this dress? The one that I received so many positive responses to? Well, I didn't wear that one to Lynn's wedding, because I found this dress a month or so later. This Caspian blue is one of Lynn's favorite colors so I knew it was the PERFECT dress for her wedding. Don't worry, the gorgeous flamingo Delores dress will come out and play...I promise.

So this halter sangle dress is perfection...it has a tight bodice with an EXTREMELY flattering neckline plus the addition of a fairly full skirt (just in case you overeat at whatever occasion you wear it to) and pockets, you know what a sucker I am for pockets in dressy dresses! This is a size 8, btw, and by the time I wore the dress, it was a tad loose, but nothing obnoxious. (I love this dress so much that when they went on sale--I bought one in a size 6 in an olive green color...)


Here I am with the most beautiful bride ever, Lynn! And you astute ladies will notice, yep, that is a J. Crew wedding gown. :) (I wonder who encouraged her to look at jcrew.com?) If you are a potential bride-to-be, I highly recommend J. Crew...especially if you want to find a dress for under $500. BTW, my dress at my wedding was under $500 (but was not J. Crew--J. Crew was NOT doing wedding gowns back then)...and is very similar to the one Lynn picked out. I love some of the dresses for weddings that are REALLY expensive, but Lynn and I are of the same mold...why spend that much on a dress we will only wear once? (Although we have absolutely no problem with other people spending whatever they want...)

So you all know, I am making this stupid face because by the point this pic was taken, I had a few tipples of red wine...mmm...


Here is a close-up of Lynn...she looks amazing, right? Oh, and she made her necklace! (And the earrings I am wearing in the last photo...she made those, as well...so talented...)

(Maybe she will set up her very own etsy shop...think about it, Lynn...)


So now I am back to the basics. So basic, in fact, that this shot was taken at Target in Indiana. Woo-hoo! (I was going to be in the car all day, sue me...)


And now for a little injection of glamour...the Havona tank taken to casual comfort. I wore this on the last day of our vacation (we were in Pennsylvania at Fallingwater--Frank Lloyd Wright's iconic masterpiece--also the site of Rex's most insane breakdown yet--this cami stood up to a lot...therefore I can say if you are a mom...you can purchase it). I bought it in a size 8, and although a bit loose, it isn't too bad...whereas my lack of makeup? Slightly bad...but I will plead my case...I had just finished trying to stop Rex's meltdown (it didn't work)...

Okay, folks, that's it! Phew. I hope this was more fun for you to read than for me to create...I think I am done with the REALLY LONG posts for a little while. I am tired...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that blue dress on you. What a pretty color!

Jayna Wallace said...

The Havona cami looks AWESOME on you! Actually the whole vacation wardrobe was fantastic -- all the colors went perfectly together and you looked just fabulous and so put together every day!

AppGal said...

Oh man, I just adore the Boden top on you. The colors and pattern are just SO YOU! I really need to start looking more at Boden...I always forget about them!

The blue dress and the havona look beautiful. Looks like you & your wardrobe withstood the test of travel and tantrums well :)

Cate said...

love your blue dress! outfits are adorable. i think blogger was being weird on sunday for some reason.

(original) Genny said...

I love Boden and I like that top!

What are you wearing under your Havona? I have yet to figure it out. Thanks.

Patina said...

oh my, you mean the havona survived. I thought that flower would be the first thing to go when Rex had his meltdown (remembering my son's baby meltdown days. that's when i stopped wearing pierced earrings and necklaces lol), poor baby. I'm glad you survived. Love all your outfits and the Boden top is to die for!!!

GingerSnap said...

Ok, that citron sleeveless sweater WAS MADE FOR YOU. OMG, you looked fantastic in that! I think you and I are just going to have to be "citron twins" - it is our color!

dinagideon said...

Katherine: I think caspian blue may be one of my favorite colors ever...I also believe that this hue flatters everyone, which may be why this dress shade sold out first when it went on sale (and it made me feel better for paying almost full price--I think I got 20% off FP with a sale...). :)

Ratsonparade: You are so sweet. I love the Havona and I think it will be my go-to vacation top...it just screams "I am on vacation..." Of course, I didn't need any help in the screaming department that day, thanks to my sweet little tyrant rex who did more than enough screaming for everyone in the family for a whole year.

AppGal: I seriously would have bought the Boden top full price, but forgot! I need you to look into their clothing, like me, you LOVE color and interesting prints...

Cate: Thank you, hon! I think blogger is the most insane server ever...I never ever know if it is working, etc. You would think that as soon as you publish a post it would appear in people's readers, but nope, it can take hours sometimes. Blegh! Thanks for helping me figure out the deal...

Genny: I just read over at JCA that you have recently purchased some Boden, which pieces? I think they have a fantastic fall...some real rich colors and textures...wow!

As far as the Havona, I am wearing a nude-colored cami by Lady Hathaway (Costco brand that has a built in shelf bra). Here is how I made it Havona appropriate...I took those perfect strap dealios that are "as seen on tv" (except I purchased mine at CVS), and made my cami into a racerback. It totally worked! So there you go!

http://www.perfectstrap.com/

Patina: Oh, the trials of a two-year old who is so sure he is always right and we are always wrong. ;) I am glad to know we are not alone!

So have you ordered again from Boden? I know you had some issues getting a bag...

Gingersnap: I will happily be your citron twin. Ashley from the blog "Love it" can join us, too. Seriously, we bring bit of Fluorescence to the blogging world (although I fear that people have to wear sunglasses when they come on over to my blog). :)

Tippy said...

the blue dress is so pretty and looks great on you! i just checked out the boden website and love it! do they often have discount/free shipping codes? thanks for introducing me to it :)

HeidiG said...

Love the havona tank on you!! blue dress is gorgeous!! Lynn is such a beautiful bride. Cracking up that you are doing my pose.... (doesn't it work?) Loved the PV set - so happy to see all the pics!!!

dinagideon said...

Tres Tippy: There always seems to be a promo over at Boden...I google "Boden coupons" and I can usually get something fairly good!

Or their catalogs...if you receive them, they usually include a promo of some sort...always try and wait for free shipping, if possible...

HeidiG.: Your pose has changed my outlook...fat day? Do the Heidi pose! So, thank you, dear friend... ;)

Unknown said...

You look so good in the blue wedding dress. And I love the boden top you got for a rock botom price. That's a great outfit.