Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Long Forgotten Summer Outfit...Featuring Boden...

I kept meaning to post this outfit, but I believe I wanted to post it about the same time as jerkface mean commenter came along, and I think my brain just said "no" to posting this outfit. Crazy thing? This is just a simple outfit--tank by Boden, denim shorts by Calvin Klein, and sandals by J. Crew. It would be VERY hard to make fun of this outfit because making fun of this outfit is like making fun of 99% of people in America during the summer, because all of us wear some variation of this outfit when it is hot outside. :)


Here is the polyvore so you can see the pieces individually. The tank is sold out, I believe, but if you like it sometimes these items will pop up on Ebay.


And here it is, on me. Yep, pretty basic, but a great, casual look for summer.

*********************************************************
NOVA residents: GENEROUS GEORGE'S is CLOSING. You read that right, one of the most revered family restaurants in the area is shutting its original location on the edge of Old Town Alexandria for good (Sunday, September 20, 2009 is its last day). The news came down yesterday, and since we wanted to celebrate baby CW's birthday with pizza, pasta, and good times, we went there for dinner. Well, our favorite waiter, Pedro, said "good thing you all came tonight." And we were like, "why?" Then he and the manager lady told us the news. Ugh. Poor Generous George's...it is a tough time for so many people, but it hurts way more and more deeply when it is a place that has fed the people of an area for well over thirty years. So the pink building on Duke Street will be no more...

That said, there are two good (well, okay) news regarding GG's...
1) There is a franchise location in Herndon you can visit. It is an hour away for us, but if we get a hankering, at least we know there is a place we can go...
and
2) If they can sell the building on Duke Street, they will try and find a smaller location somewhere close by to open the restaurant again. I really hope this can happen. If it does, I can guarantee that we will be there for baby CW's second birthday. The manager lady said that they will keep everyone updated on the progress of a potential new location on their website.

Okay, all, have a great weekend. We are having baby's birthday party tomorrow, so I know I will have a good time...

7 comments:

amy kelinda said...

A tank and shorts are summertime staples indeed! I love the little flowers on the tank, it makes it so much more cheery. Ignore the jerkface comments, those posters have nothing better to do with the hours in their days!

Unknown said...

You look 50s cool. Me likey :-)

JKW said...

Hey, I have this top, too! You look great in it! I agree with gigiofca -- it's got a 50's look. It's still warm here in the mid-West, and I'm running around in tank tops and shorts every weekend. No complaints!

Anonymous said...

That top is so adorable and summery. I love it.

Jemma said...

I am defeinetly trying boden this year- you look fantastic! Sorry to hear about the resturaunt- what a bummer. I read in Mexico today the place that made the first ever ceaser salad shut down. I wish this recession would be over already....

hkm said...

Cute outfit...I get lots of mini-boden for my kids and want to try some of the womens clothes. The kids clothes run pretty big...do you stay true to your size at Boden or size down? Thanks!

dinagideon said...

Hi, all...my sweet CW is about to need me (desperately), so I have to make this quick (but I also wanted to comment so I could do my next post sometime today)...

Thanks for the compliments on this very simple outfit...I love that you all think it looks 50s cool! When I start my mid-century mom blog, I will remember that this outfit qualifies...especially on days when I don't think I can manage the pencil skirts and pearls when I am grocery shopping. :)

HKM: So you know, Boden has fairly generous sizing, not over-the-top like some of J. Crew's pieces, but still forgiving. There is NO petites, so if you run tiny and you are tiny in height, Boden is probably not the best place to shop (although I bet some of you ladies could get away with some of the mini-Boden sizes). I find that Boden is more closely cut on top and more generous on the bottom, which I love, being all pear-shaped.

That said, Boden has really, scarily accurate measurements of their pieces on their website, and they also have reviews of the pieces. Every once in a while Boden even tells you what pieces you should size down or up on...and I always follow these three things when ordering, and so far, everything has fit perfectly!

There is even a video feature for the dresses, skirts, and coats, so if you are on the fence, watch it because you will at least be able to see how the item flows...I LOVE the video feature. :) HTH!

BTW, in terms of the restaurant, a lot of folks round here are very sad, so maybe with enough support from the community, we can bring the place back to life (which would be awesome)!

Have a nice one, everyone! :)