Friday, September 25, 2009

End of Summer Equals Shorts...

Sorry for the absence this past week...I have been struggling trying to keep up with the blog while shuttling Rex to and from preschool (and dealing with his "behavior" at preschool itself), plus CW had her year checkup (23 lbs., 29 inches, and a HUGE head). But I have a few moments, so I thought I would do this post plus the Kreativ Blogger Award post (AppGal, THANK YOU!).

These three outfits are just so simple, it may not even be worth your energy to scroll down...that said, I do have a few photos of the kids...so maybe that alone will be worth it!

I love shorts in the summer, and this summer was no exception...


First up: Khaki Bermuda Shorts (J. Crew, Spring 2009); Citron Eyelet Blouse (J. Crew Collection, Summer 2008); Brown Leather Sandals (Nine West, Spring 2008).

I love this blouse...it is so pretty...I really like that it now fits a bit looser (it is a size 10) because I like the tunic look...I could probably have gotten away with an 8, but in the throes of summer, I don't really want fabric sitting too close to my skin. These bermuda shorts are so comfy...I bought nearly every color J. Crew made I love them that much. The shoes are "eh," but I can wear them all day and not feel like my feet are killing me at the end of the day!

BTW, isn't CW darling? I love it when she sneaks into the photo!


Speaking of sneaking into the photo...she is crawling up behind me and...voila...


I picked her up and swung her, just to see her smile... :)

The outfit consists of: same shorts as in the first outfit; Lime-striped tank top (Old Navy, Summer 2009); and Lime fit-flops (Summer 2008). (Oh, and so you know, this was the first day of school here in VA, and I definitely didn't want to wear anything special...hence the super-casual look.)


Here is the polyvore of the outfit above. I do agree with one of the comments that the fit-flops match the top...and I believe I may have planned it that way that day (because I get bored like that)...


And finally, a very CASUAL outfit for just hanging with the kids. I may have gone outside to get the mail that day. Ooh, exciting. Anyhow, aren't the kids too cute? I love it! I wish they always were in this sort of mood. Rex is probably excited because he is holding onto his Transformers magnets...which speaking of Transformers, we had to take ALL his Transformers away and put them in a box (which he can still see) up on top of a shelf in order to discipline him for not being a good boy at preschool. Sigh. I am not sure my 2 1/2 year old is quite old enough to get it, but this is what his preschool teacher recommended (supposedly it worked for her son when he acted up). If that doesn't work, does anyone know of a preschool that "bad" boys can go to? I feel like with the way people portray Rex he is a budding criminal, not the sweet boy I know he can be! Is it just me or have any of you mommies out there had a time when your kids were painted as "awful," even when you knew what they were saying was an overreaction? Also, I feel like if you have never had a super-active, crazy 2-year old boy, Rex and the way he acts may be beyond you...I now have a lot of sympathy for any mom or dad with a little boy or girl having a fit in the grocery store (I even go out of my way to help if I can...I know what it feels like to feel like you are the only one who is going through this particular realm of hell...).

Okay, this outfit consists of: Linen (Sequined) Top (J. Crew "Vintage Closet," Spring 2008); Yellow shorts (J. Crew, Spring 2006); and Brown Strappy wedges (Aerosoles, Summer 2009).

You all have a great day and start to the weekend. I will be posting my blogger award very soon!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh your kids are so adorable! I am not so sure about behavior issues with little boys, but maybe he is just too active for his age? What is wrong with that?
Maybe it's still all part of starting pre-school and such.
However, you are looking super cute with your summery outfits.

jcmama said...

My daughter started preschool last week and it's been busy dropping/picking her up. She's a year older than Rex and I remember when she used to throw fits (she still does to a lesser degree). It must be tough on you especially since you have to take care of CW, too. As a SAHM I feel your pain...
But hey, you are the best thing for them and when it's tough going for me I try to remind myself, this too shall pass and how quickly they grow up. :-)

I love your casual outfits. Citron color looks so good on you!
BTW, I recently bought the silk tafetta halter dress in caspian blue (one you wore to your friend's wedding) and I love it! You inspire me to add more dresses to my wardrobe. :-)
Have a great weekend!

Kathy said...

You are a stylish SAHM! My son has always had a big head!

HeidiG said...

Love the outfits!! Love the kiddies in the pics, too!!

And when M was little, we called him string-bean-pumpkin-head b/c he was so long and skinny w/ a big head. Don't tell him I told you that. :)

Anonymous said...

Love your outfit, I also love the Bermuda shorts they are my favorite summer item.

kate said...

Regarding the potential behavior issues, I highly recommend the book "A Family of Value" by John Rosemond, especially the chapters on the "Three Rs". Check out the reviews on Amazon.

CheesyGoodness said...

My daughter (three in December) was "that kid" in her tumbling class. Wouldn't listen, wouldn't do what the other kids were doing, kept running out of the room. Once she locked herself into the storage closet on the day there was a substitute teacher. My initial reaction was to be, ya know, MORTIFIED, until I realized a few things. First, she was the youngest in the class, and an only child, so all that being around a bunch of kids was way different for her. Second, all the well-behaved kids were being gently reminded to be good by judicious yankings of arms and not so subtle hairy eyeballs by fellow parents. One girl was genuinely good, but the quietest, shyest kid I've ever seen. (That will never be my girl, she's as effusive and outgoing as they come!) Third, I can be pretty pigheaded and contradictory, so I shouldn't be surprised if my baby wants to do whatever she wants. I had to be taught to listen to other people, now I have to teach her to acknowledge other powers besides Mama, Daddy, and herself. I have had to spend alot of time on practices like telling her consequences of naughtiness, and following through on punishments (and rewards, of course!!!) She's taken a few steps back the last few weeks (on a big NO kick, ugh) but I think there's been some good strides made toward becoming less of a wild thing. Rex just needs time to get used to his new class, with all those new people and without mom right there with him. Please don't let negative comments on his behavior get to you, you know he's a great kid, and I'm sure you make him feel loved and like a good kid all the time. The rest will fall into place. Or no Transformers!

dinagideon said...

Hi, everyone:

Thank you all for your sweet comments about my ridiculously casual outfits...but since I love to show off my clothes, I guess I can't always get gussied up, even though I really wish I could... :) (Oh, my darn practical side...)

As to my son, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your great advice...books, specific strategies, etc. It sounds like I am not alone in what I am going through. I truly feel this is a gift, my blog...it has kept my feet on the ground, so to speak, and kept me from overreaction because I might be taking something too personally (what, moi, take something personal, NEVER...chuckle)...

In regards to Rex's big head...oh, yes...it is true. 2 1/2 and his head is the same size as a 4 or 5 year old? CRAZY. No wonder I had such issues at his delivery. ;)

JCMama: Yay for the blue tafetta dress...I know you look great!!!

CheesyGoodness: Ooh, I like that..."that kid." :) Yes, that is EXACTLY what it feels like when all the other parents parade by with their special shy kids, and I am the one having to wait to "talk" with the teacher.

BTW, when are you going to start your blog? I bet it will be GREAT! :) Hint, hint...

dinagideon said...

Oh, and CheesyGoodness: Rex was Yoda for Halloween last year...great minds and all that. :)