Thursday, September 10, 2009

Oh, I Am a Stay at Home Mom, Now...

Outside of a couple of stints as a substitute teacher this year, I will be exclusively staying at the house with the kids...still working (all you stay at home moms chime in with how true this is)...but it does afford me the opportunity to be a bit more "casual" with my outfits. (Although, I have an idea or two percolating in my mind to try and emulate the fab moms of the '50s and '60s, those who dressed up to do the dishes, but more on that later...)

So here goes...a few of my recent "hot weather" SAHM outfits. Nothing uber-special, but all fun and totally me. :)


HeidiG., this is all for you, babe. Don't you just love the message on the message tee? I bought this in Disneyland and I know it's meant for teenagers, but eh, whatever, I love the way it looks. The citron shorts are J. Crew from years ago, and the capri sandals are the starfish critter ones from earlier this summer. I felt very good in this outfit (probably because I felt like I was ready to go to the beach--and really when is that ever a bad thing?)!


Here is the polyvore for outfit #2...only polyvore for this post.


I wore this outfit to the playdate with HeidiG., E., M., and Summerilla. Yes, I wore a mini-skirt to the mall for a playdate. Again, who cares? This skirt is so comfy in real life. And that tee...it is so soft, it is unreal. And yep, that is the antique gold manor necklace from J. Crew (the only thing I have been able to wear from the DC JCA shopping expedition to Tysons in August).

The playdate was great...I love seeing HeidiG. and Summerilla, and as a bonus, my kids got to play with HeidiG.'s kids (who were FANTASTIC with my kids...love it)!


And for those of you who are curious...this is my version of workout wear. I workout so much that I find I spend a few hours a day at least in clothing just like this...I even travel now with workout clothing...yes, I know, it is almost sick. ;)

The night that I wore this it was a bit chilly, so I covered the tank with the wallpaper cardigan. This cardi was just the right weight to keep me from being too cold...but portable enough that I could fold it up and put it back into the yoga bag, if need be.


I did a close-up of the workout tank because I want to emphasize to all ladies the importance of having real support for your own "ladies" when engaging in any activity more jarring than say, yoga or swimming. I think I was off to an abs class and although it wasn't, say, kickboxing (no, that special form of cruelty awaited me another day), I found the extra support from a workout-grade top really helped in keeping me comfortable and from hurting CW's main source of food (yes, I am one of those crazy nurse a baby--if you can--until they are two types).

You all have the best night...soon you will see parts two and three to this SAHM thing...dressy nights and my new haircut and new glasses. But depending on Internet access, I may not be able to post again until Monday! So until later...

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well--all your "working out" is definately "working!" You look great in the skirt outfit and in your workout wear!!!

TarHeelMom (formerly JCAUNCMom) said...

Dina, you look wonderful and I especially love the shorts & "message" tee ensemble! Have fun with the SAHM clothes -- you're going to LOVE being a SAHM!!! :-)

amy kelinda said...

I love your play date outfit! The scoopneck cut is super flattering!

I completely agree with the importance of having proper support, even if your "gals" are on the teeny end of the spectrum. It makes cardio that much more comfortable, and you need all the comfort you can get when you're sweating/in pain/can hardly breathe.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the SAHM! Good for you! Your babies will have the memories all children need. I love that skirt on you... as usual, you can wear anything and make it look happy and perfect!

Summerilla said...

I love the tee from Disney, not only is it bright colors and fun but I love the message (and yes it's so HeidiG!).

Reading about our shopping/play date makes me really miss you all. So glad you get to stay home and be with your beautiful children.

Marietta said...

You look fabulous, I love your playdate outfit, so chic! I also just purchased the antique gold manor necklace, to wear to a wedding in a few weeks... it looks wonderful on you! Congrats on being a SAHM!!!

Shann said...

Great outfits! The mini is my fav, you look amazing in it. Nice gams mama!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

You look great Dina! I love the mini on you, too! Enjoy your littles! :)

CheesyGoodness said...

I like the outfits! I know what you're thinking about the dress up aspect of being a SAHM. I have a few flouncy cutenik aprons from Anthro to jazz up doing dishes and making cookies! I feel the baby buffet thing, too, I nursed until my daughter was 2 1/2 and I actually miss it alot. Except when she decides to fake nurse to be funny, and yank my top down at inopportune moments. Goofy things like that are some of what make it so fun and funny to be a full time parent. Plus, more cuddling is great, too! I hope you enjoy your little ones to the fullest!

Ms.Mer said...

Who says you can't wear a mini skirt to a mall play date?! :) That outfit looks great on you.

Ditto on the built-in bra... very necessary, even for ladies with very little ladies! ;)

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cute Outfits Dina!
I recently bought the wall paper cardi and I'm loving it

prince snow farm said...

I'm so happy for you...awesome to be home with the kids...cute outfits as always.

Anonymous said...

Very cute and comfortable clothes. Must say that you look like a very stylish SAHM.
You are very lucky to stay at home and spend time with your beautiful kids.

Jcrewcrazy said...

Congrats on being a SAHM! You look happy and stylish Dina!!!!! Love the play date outfit :-)

Julia said...

Whoaaa!! You look smokin' in that pink top and mini skirt outfit!! :) I hope you're loving staying home with your kids, I'm sure it will be so worth it!

HeidiG said...

Love the tee! hehehe. And you looked even more fab in person in the playdate outfit - what a fun outing that was - but sniff, sniff, just makes me miss Summerilla!


Can't wait for the other posts, too!

txmom said...

Congratulations on being a SAHM. I did the same "line of work" for over 20 years and now my babies are both in college. How did that happen?? The years will fly by! I am not sure I ever looked as stylish ans you and the other JCA's do (at least during their early years! Keep up the good work!

dinagideon said...

Yogagirl: Heehee...you make me laugh! Thanks for noticing...I love working out *almost* as much as I love dressing up!

JCAUNCMom: SAHM is awesome, I totally agree...and I love being able to dress up to go to my "new" job... :)

Amy Kelinda: Thank you...I love scoopnecks and wish J. Crew would utilize them more... :) And proper "gear," yes, oh, goodness, makes all the difference in the world...

CDP: Thank you...your comment is so sweet...I also look forward to wearing skirts in the winter with happy tights! :)

Summerilla: So if we come up to NYC with CW, you need to make sure we bring her to Central Park to one of their awesome playgrounds...perfect city playdate (even if CW is the only kid in the group)! We miss you a lot, too!

dinagideon said...

Marietta: That necklace, I am sure, looks stunning on you! I think I may have mentioned this before but I bought the scattered glass necklace because I saw you wearing it...I think we may have the same jewelry collection, not everything from J. Crew, but the prettiest necklaces, for sure...

Hope you enjoy the wedding!

Shannon: Well, thank you so much! Do you own this mini? It is such a comfy skirt (somehow)!

FFM: If I have half as much fun being a SAHM as you do, I will be 100% satisfied! :)

CheesyGoodness: You are so funny...I love that you daughter still pulls at your shirt...but that territory comes when you are so intensive with nursing...I totally get it! 2 1/2, that is great! I hope to continue until 2 and if possible, a bit longer than that...so far so good!

BTW, once when Rex and I were in Whole Foods and I was HUGELY preggers with CW, he pulled up my shirt exposing my belly to the entire frozen section...and then yelled, belly button! ;) Fortunately all the cruchy-granola types just tittered and moved on...still makes me laugh now!

Ms. Mer: Yes! Mini-skirt mommas...love it! I totally agree, women, itty-bitties and buxom babes alike need the "support." We gotta take care of our girls. :)

dinagideon said...

MissMasala: I totally look forward to seeing you in the wallpaper cardigan...I bet it is totally lovely on you!

monogramgirl: Yay! Thank you...I plan on as many good times as possible... :)

Rosa: I am very very very fortunate. I never ever thought I would say this, but being a stay at home mom is the fulfillment of the greatest dream ever...completely being involved in the lives of the people that I am completely and utterly 100% head over heels in love with...amazing. I used to think I would be a career-driven mom who could jet away to wherever on a moments' notice...and then I met my kids and all of a sudden it was, "no way...no how...I am NOT leaving these kids ever." It was weird, the overnight transformation of my personality. I feel so blessed! :)

Jcrewcrazy: Well, thank you so much...I appreciate it! :)

Julia: Smoking? You make me smile, how sweet...I love it!!! I have to show my hubby this, I want him to say smoking...that's a great term... ;)

HeidiG.: I admit to even buying the tee because it reminded me of you! :) Maybe it can be my "Heidi tee." I also, sniff sniff, miss Summerilla! (Oh, and there will be more posts soon...good to be back from vacation...love being away, but it always throws everyone off...)

txmom: Awesome! 20 years? Wow! You need to keep up with my blog because I always need help, esp. with my older son...he can be a right handful...so someone with expertise? Priceless! And yes, SAHM is A LOT of hard work...admittedly one you can do in PJs...but still, work! :)

Have a nice afternoon, hopefully I can post a little later today!

Patina said...

WOW!!! You look beautiful. The workouts are paying off. Love all your outfits,especially the one of you in the mini....and you know the wallpaper cardi is one of my favs. Congrats on being a SAHM!!! Wahooooooo

MCC said...

The ruffle neck dress looks fabulous on you! I love the outer banks too. We spend every Thanksgiving in Corolla, NC. Not as nice as summer time, but so so pretty!