Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The City that Never Sleeps...How Could They? Rex Was There...

I am not what you would call the biggest "Big Apple" lover. I think the city and all it has to offer is fantastic, but to get there is a pain, and once there it is REALLY crowded. I live in a house with no back neighbors and whole heck of a lot of forest for a reason...I like nature and privacy (yes, I have a blog, and yes, I get how that is a disconnect).

Having said this, I ended up having a GREAT time when we went to NYC over Father's Day weekend. It was a pain to get there, and yes, it was still insanely crowded (although not in the very lovely Upper East Side), but I think because I wanted to have a good time, I approached all of the possible things that could annoy me with more humor and positive energy. I think it worked.

Worst part of the weekend? Rex was an insane, crazy, slightly demented child while we were there. I am surprised the Guggenheim doesn't have us on their hit list after the multiple fits he had in that amazing building. Sigh. And then there was the whole breaking the wineglass trick he did at the hotel (it isn't a Jewish wedding, Rex). Double sigh.

Best part? Every single stinking person fell in love with CW. I don't know if she really is that pretty, but every other person we passed was so sweet and complimentary of her.

Another part I loved? Even though Rex was a mad-man, the New Yorkers didn't even seem all that bothered by him...God bless you all!

And of course...I LOVED the Collection stores on Madison and on Prince Street. The Madison Avenue one is the smaller, more "boutique" style store (read: tee-tiny), whereas the Prince Street one is HUGE and has its own accessories section (and a fantastic sale section).

I also got to meet the gorgeous Marietta at the Collection store, and although we were only able to chill out together for about an hour, it was a lot of fun. I hope that all you New York JCAs will have lots of meetings...what a perfect place to showcase your love for all things J. Crew. I also think the DC JCAs should take the train up and spend a weekend "crewsing" around with the NYC JCAs...can you even imagine???

Onto the clothing!


My Polyvore is above.


For the drive up, I went REALLY casual. The top is from Disneyland, and I love this color. I also have a soft spot for surf tees...so when I saw this "Mickey" inspired surf tee, I knew I had to have it.

I have no idea why my hair looks this red. It must be this color and it really only shows itself in the natural lighting of the outdoors. I usually take my photos indoors and with dry hair. Hmmm...


So I got to the Guggenheim and after touring the exhibits in my surf tee and grey shorts (what better to run after Rex in?), I knew I wanted to "chic" it up for my trip to meet Marietta at the Collection store. It would have been flat out wrong for a JCA to show up there in non-J. Crew duds (although I did sneak in the Born shoes--forgive me, but J. Crew shoes are NOT made for walking). I REALLY like the way this outfit turned out. I didn't even think the matchstick jeans looked wrong rolled up. And can I express to you my LOVE for this necklace? It is divine and suits so many necklines so well.

BTW, my inspiration for this look was the beautiful Lauren Hutton in the (I believe) February catalog where she rocked this top with a similar cardi, pearls, and some capri chinos.


Ooooooh--we are so busted!!! We took this pic in the Collection store (Madison Avenue) and were promptly told that photos were not allowed to be taken. So ignore the mannequin, the sumptuous clothing and accessories, and focus instead on Marietta and myself. I loved that Marietta wore that cashmere vest cardi with a tank...I am so totally going to copy that look. I have that same cardi in orange, so I bet with a light pink tank, it would look awesome. Thanks for the idea, Marietta!


So what better to wear on a rainy Saturday night in NYC when you really have no plans to impress anyone and you have to wear a Bjorn anyway? This outfit is very pretty and practical. Once I was able to take CW out of the Bjorn I knew that people would like this top. The Caspian Blue color is so special...not navy, yet not a true blue, either. I hope J. Crew makes more in this color. I have a feeling it is one of those "universally flattering" colors.


Here is my girl rocking a black hoodie and sparkly white pants for NYC. Very chic for a baby. Just so you all know, the top survived being worn under the bjorn. The silk flowers are doing just fine!!!


I knew I was going to spend the entire day Sunday walking around so I HAD to be comfy. Yet I couldn't just slap something on. Anthropologie is very good at finding tops that can be practical but still allow you to be somewhat expressive. I was so excited to remember I had this top because...


I got to match CW!!! (Yes, I am a stupid nerd...)


This pic is from the hotel room. I really just liked it and wanted you all to see how much fun my kids were having. I hope the hotel recovered from our visit. ;)


Here we are somewhere near the Strand bookstore. Mr. Dina LOVES the Strand bookstore. I do, too, but not with kids. So guess who got to go to the store? Yep...not me. I guess I will pay more and have stroller access at our local (and very open) Borders.

So, all in all, a great time.

Have a nice day, you all!!!

18 comments:

Drewablank said...

Wow, dinagideon! It looks like you had loads of fun! I tried really hard to focus on you and Marietta at that Collection store, but it was difficult not to squint and look around at all those goodies behind you! Heehee.

Strand sounds like my kinda place. I always end up in some sort of hypnosis when I enter a bookstore or library. It's the smell of the books - new OR musty.

And I agree with "Crew"sing up there...we should! We should! I'm so ready to go on a road trip of some sort!

Marietta said...

Dina, what a fabulous idea! I would love it if all of you lovely ladies from DC came to NY.... we could hit up all of the JC b&m's! I also still plan on coming to DC at some point in the next few months... I just have to see when my boyfriend and I have a free extended weekend (we are super swamped with events).... I'll keep you posted for sure! Great post!

MMM said...

Thanks for sharing your NYC experience w/ us! You looked lovely in all of the outfits but I especially LOVE the rolling-ruffles tank outfit (Lauren Hutton look) and the caspian blue tee on you~ G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! Both are 2 of my personal *fav* looks from J.Crew this year! :)

Lady Jane said...

Loved all your outfits but especially your "chic" outfit...so fantastic!!!

Alexis {J.Crew Aficionada} said...

Thank you for sharing about your trip.

And you and Marietta look fantastic!!! J.Crew has the most beautiful customers. :)

A said...

Thanks for posting all the wonderful pictures from your NY trip Dina. :) You looked terrific in all the pictures but especially loved your chic outfit and the necklace.

Oooo, was that my coveted Campbo bag at the Collection store :))

Kathy said...

I love you and CW matching! Great outfits for the trip! You wore my kind of clothes for the entire trip.

Cleo said...

Glad you had fun, Dina. Your outfits were stylish and cute. I love NYC. You can count me in on a road trip (or plane trip :) ).

sparrowsandsparkles said...

love your outfits - looks like such a great time!!

Moda said...

OMG your baby is so cute!!!!
And I am jealous that you went to the Madison store...!!!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DINA!!!! I hope you have an extremely special and fun day!!!

Btw...thanks for sharing all the pics! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great outfits and what a fun trip! I wish i could see a collection store-- they sound wonderful! I love the outfit you wore to it. It looks great on you!
Oh yes, I think we have left our mark in a few hotel rooms too. Jumping between two beds is our favorite activity!

HeidiG said...

Love you and CW matching!! too cute! Love love love your rolling ruffles outfit - tank looks fantastic on you! And like Drewablank, you & Marietta were gorgeous, but I was checking out the background just as much I admit! So glad I finally see our swirly boob tee on you, too! ;)

And Happy Birthday!!!

Drewablank said...

"Swirly boob tee". Heehee.

Summerilla said...

Looks like you had an awesome time in NYC. I went to the same store on Prince St. while I was there - I loved the accessories section too.

I hope when all the DC JCA's visit NYC after I move there that I will be able to meet up with you all for some J.Crew shopping! I'm really going to miss seeing you ladies.

dinagideon said...

Drewablank: We had a really good time. It was EXHAUSTING, but really a nice bonding experience for our family.

Don't look at the Collection store...or else your eyes might burn!!! NOOO!!!

The Strand is amazing...so many books, people, and deals all scrunched together in one place.

Definitely we need to get up there...but we need to see our Richmond friends first... :)

Marietta: And thank you for showing me and CW such a nice time...we loved meeting you. Please do let me know when you make it here...many of the ladies here would love to show you a good time. :) And from the sound of it, we will be heading up your way soon...

MMM: I had been holding off on wearing the ruffles tank and caspian blue tee until I had a reason to be uber-chic. I can think of no better place for that than NYC. I will definitely be replicating both of these looks though...very very easy to wear...

Thank you!!! :)

Lady Jane: Well, thank you...I did love playing dress-up in NYC!

Alexis: Now I am blushing (and I am sure Marietta is, too)...you are so sweet!

dinagideon said...

A Bigger Closet: Thank you...and I do believe you are right...that is the Campo bag. (Which I paid no attention to...and all you ladies have been going crazy for...after I bought the Andie Bag from the Weekly Exchange my J. Crew bag needs were satisfied probably forever!!!)

I hope you get the Campo bag...I know it will look awesome with your outfits!

Kathy: I love matching CW...I don't do it more than one-two times a month but when I do it people are so cute...they are all like, "look at that...mom and daughter match!" And people smile, too. :)

I rarely dress like I did in NYC but when I do I have to confess feeling a bit more confident...

Cleo26: I thank you and we will definitely get something arranged...you will be so thrilled by those J. Crew stores...they are packed full of goodies that our local store just don't carry...

sparrowsandsparkles: Thank you...it was a great time!!!

TOOTD: We both loved shopping. I know my little girl will be very gifted in the shopping front... ;)

Get to the Collection store when you can...small, sure, but very sweet and beautifully laid out with some special pieces.

dinagideon said...

FFM: Thank you so much...you sent me two bday wishes...you are so sweet!

Stephanie: Thank you. I am glad you understand the story about Rex nearly destroying the hotel room. We were mortified. I guess hotel management gets used to it but I know us parents have a hard time getting used to it. ;)

HeidiG: Did you ever match E. when she was tiny? I feel kind of dorky, but I love the response people give when we match.

The swirly boob tee fits in such a way (thank goodness) that I don't have to worry about it being to Freudian, but funny nonetheless.

Drewablank: Yeah, I chuckled too. ;)

Summerilla: I have already promised Marietta that you and she have to be the founding members of the NYC JCA group. And yes, your friends of the DC JCA group will continue to see you all...it isn't that far, thank goodness... :)