Monday, June 15, 2009

A Mini-Skirt for the Zoo. Yes, I Realize How Inappropriate that Sounds...

See, I know that you are not "supposed" to wear mini-skirts over the age of 35. I get that, I really, really do. But there is a huge part of me that is kind of ticked off. What if you don't act or look or feel like that should be your rule? Or what if you have been working your tail off to lose weight since September and you can finally fit into a size 8 mini-skirt from J. Crew and you want to celebrate. And when I say fit into, I don't mean lying down on the bed while my hubby zips it up for me fitting into...I mean, I can actually zip it up no problem, sit down no problem, etc. So what if I am THIS close to 35 that this may mean I am "breaking" the rule in a few years?

Also, 3-Penny Princess said, "Just try the mini-skirt..." So I did.

Plus, J'Adore the Stores tried one on and looked so cute (minus the funky sides not meeting up thing-y)...

And Drewablank said that if anyone is snarky to me today, they should spend time in Comment Purgatory. :) Cute...

And as I promised HeidiG., I will never, ever wear this to either inappropriate places or with anything other than flats. :) PROMISE.

Also, just check out the lovely and gorgeous Joyce if you want to see who my inspiration was to post this outfit. I mean...man she can ROCK those shorts. You look great, Joyce!!!

Okay, without further discussion...


This is the polyvore. Thank you to Slastena and toastfacekillah (polyvore names) for the two items I borrowed from you to create it...


Here it is full-length. I discovered that if you pull the skirt down on your hips, you can make the skirt that much longer. I am 5'8" and the skirt on the hips made it be just a few inches above the knee. By the way, this "owl-eye/wallpaper" mini is only for sale in the stores...so no on-line purchasing is possible. The top is also only in-store and I have a suspicion they are all sold out by now. The shoes are the Earth sandals I wear everywhere during the summer.

The skirt also has some stretch, which is probably every lady's favorite thing in any item of clothing, especially if you are a lady like me and you really need the stretch on certain days...

Tall ladies...if you want to (and I may do this), there is about 2 inches of fabric at the hem that we could play with if we are willing to pay a tailor to lengthen the skirt...just a thought...I had the idea after I visited A Bigger Closet's post on a pair of shorts she was wearing.

Only warning...the skirt gets kinda wrinkly...but since I was going to be out in the hot, hot sun and air, I just didn't give one "hoot" because it wasn't like I was out to impress the elephants we were going to see.


Here is the outfit AFTER we went to the zoo. The skirt did ride up a bit (it is shorter in length in this pic), but overall the outfit looks amazingly similar to pic #1. I guess you know now that I officially "HEART" this skirt. The tee also stood up to the day. :) Oh, and CW was also in good form...no wrinkling on her part, either.


As much as I like Slastena's pic in polyvore, I want to clip my own...so this is for polyvore.

By the way, do any of you have any mini recommendations now that I am branching out?

23 comments:

HeidiG said...

I think CW is checking out your fabbie (not flabby) legs in that pic, hehehe. I think you look fantastic. Love love love the outfit!! Mini looks great on you.

Poohpooh to those who say miniskirts are only for those under 35, I still love them. I think it's all about your comfort level in terms of length (that's the universal "your"). And Boden has some really cute ones!!

melissamolasses said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I really want the new Jakarta mini and now I'm going to buy it! I may not sit in it though. :) I'm okay with the wrinkles, but I hate how far a mini moves up when sitting.

Emily said...

That is such a fun outfit for the zoo! Love the mini with the fish. Gotta rock the legs in the mini!

Beth said...

You look great in your skirt. I say "throw that mini skirt rule out the window!!" Nice colors by the way.

Have a super week!

Susan said...

You have nothing to worry about there. You look adorable and totally appropriate. Enjoy your new look!

MMM said...

You look great! ~There are no *They Police* that are going to come and arrest us for not following *Their Rules*! If we feel comfortable in them then more power to us! :)

I just purchased the new Balustrade Mini (blue and navy swirl pattern). I like to size-up one size so they sit lower on my hips to create some extra length! I also have the fiji-floral & the kalidescope (sp?) print mini from last year that I LOVE! Btw, I am 5'8" too!

Patina said...

love this skirt and it looks so good on you. subbithe

Alexis {J.Crew Aficionada} said...

You look great in that skirt!!! :)

AppGal said...

so cute! you are rockin' that mini, lady! i own one mini-skirt that i've only worn a handful of times because I feel so "on display" (even though it's all in my head)...maybe it's time to pull out of the vault!

Cloggsy said...

Stylish as always! That skirt I'm sure would look dreadful on me - on you: FABULOUS!

Joyce said...

Thanks for the mention. Actually, I would not have considered the shorts if not for you trying on those shorts at the JCA DC event. So, I thank you!

Unknown said...

You look really good! I love the skirt on you.

Summerilla said...

Hello HOT MOM! You rocked that mini skirt and still looked completely appropriate.

I love how you wore a fish shirt to the zoo. I wore my zebra beaded tee a few months go to the DC zoo and my friends laughed at me for wearing a "themed" zoo shirt. Boo to them - I had fun wearing my animal tee and I bet you did too. You look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

You look great, and that skirt isn't even that short. I think that rule is for SUPER short skirts. The skirt looks quite moderate, and I wouldn't consider it a mini.

Moda said...

First: You looks wonderful!!!! Love the outfit.
Second: The "mini" skirt in this picture, is way far to be mini, so don't feel guilty.
Third: I don't agree about the "35 rule", as long as you are happy and comfortable with, that is what matter.

Tina Z said...

There are a lot of 20-somethings that can't rock a mini skirt and a lot of 40-somethings that can. I say it depends on your personal style and I think this skirt looks great on you. I would love to wear it with a 3/4 length sleeve v-neck top in black or navy. It would extend it's wear to late summer/early fall.

tm said...

yay! Looks cute with the fish tee. I have worn this mini so many times since getting it in early May, it's one of my faves.

I think if you've got the gams, you can wear minis as long as you want. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that skirt with the fish tee. I have that tee too and haven't worn it much. Nice to see how others style it!
Great idea to let the skirts out. They are usually a little too mini for me. :) Congrats on the weight loss. You look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Wow--the first picture you look absolutely beautiful!
Cute cute outfit!

3-Penny Princess said...

Yay! I love that mini on you! I'm so glad you gave it a shot. I think it looks better on you than it did on me. I tried it on in the store and really liked it, but I thought the print was too big on my small frame. But it looks awesome on you, especially with the fish tee! In retrospect, I think it was a perfect theme for the zoo. You can also wear the zebra tee, crawfish, some leopard print cardi, or one of numerous fauna-themed tops J.Crew conveniently makes available.:)

As for those stupid rules about what you can and can't wear during certain times or ages, I'm right there with Tina. If you've got the bod, be mod!

P.S. I dig white shoes before Memorial Day.

Anonymous said...

I am almost 5'10' and I will be 40 soon. I wear JCrew mini skirts all the time (and I am the same size as you in them:) Who gives a rats $#$%@ what age you are as long as you look good:)

Drewablank said...

Wow! Miniskirts ARE your friend from the looks of it! Great job, dinag! :) You're totally rockin' it!

I love how you tied up the "animal/zoo" theme with your fishie shirt. You are consistently hitting it outta the ballpark with your outfits and color combos, lady!

And no "Comment Purgatory" for anyone! Yay!! :D

dinagideon said...

Hi, everyone: I am NOW empowered...I will wear mini-skirts more often. :) I also understand that what my fairly conservative upbringing calls a mini is very different from fashion mini. Good to know. Phew. So because it is summer I will celebrate by showing a bit more of my legs. And maybe into the fall I will take a cue from tastymoog and wear tights with my skirts. Cute!