Monday, June 8, 2009

No, I Did Not Wear Colonial Garb to Colonial Williamsburg (Although the Thought Crossed My Mind)...

Better than late than never should be my new blog mantra. These pics were taken over Memorial Day weekend, which was two weeks ago.

Our family went to Colonial Williamsburg, which I JUST LOVE, being an American History teacher and all...but this time we just said "no" to the tickets. For one thing, everybody and their brother decided to descend on the Historic Triangle of Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg that weekend. Ugh...crowds...heat...humidity. We only live 2 or so hours away, if we are that desperate to see the inside of the buildings (some of which I have seen upwards of 20 times), then so be it, but we are not that desperate. Two...Rex is two. 'Nuff said.

So instead we walked around, enjoyed each other's company, ate yummy food, and I even got a few spa services (HEAVEN)!

So without further ado, my clothing for the first day of the trip (you actually saw the second day's outfit in this post...and props to Kater who figured out where we were):


Here is the polyvore (yes, that's right, it is a boy's tee--I bought it in a size 12)!


Here is the outfit on me. Very exciting, I'm sure. I love soft-shell crabs...they are my fave summer food...mmm...fried up and in a sandwich...especially from the Crab Claw. Get thee to the Crab Claw if you have never been there...it is AWESOME!


Here is the Melody dress (from Spring 2009--J. Crew) on me. I bought it in an 8, and I was SO worried it would be too small. I actually stressed about this for a few days. I kind of felt stupid when I discovered that it fit really well! Phew. ;)

We had been at dinner, so if you notice any wrinkling, it is from that. I will say the dress held up really well! Also, I am holding up well because I had a yummy adult drink and I had just finished my spa services...

The sandals are the Lucia ones you saw in the previous picture. They are from what, 2007? Maybe 2006? I don't remember, but I do know I wear them A LOT during the summer. I wish J. Crew would put more out in this style (are you reading this, J. Crew?)...

BTW, word to the wise, avoid strolling minstrels if your kid is two. Rex was COMPLETELY freaked out by the nice singing man at the King's Arm Tavern that evening. I think that man probably has a complex now because of my kid. :)

You all have a great day...hopefully everybody's weather is good...it's pretty nice here in NOVA!

13 comments:

Amy said...

The melody dress looks GREAT on you! I swear, I must have gotten a defective one because I ordered a size up from normal and it was still like 4 inches shorter than yours (and I'm only 5'6"!). So glad it worked our for you!

tm said...

The dress looks fabulous on you! The tea rose kind of looks like papaya here (or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me?).

I almost got the navy swiss dot, but went w/ the citron slub silk instead. The swiss dot is the probably more versatile fabric, but I couldn't resist the yellow! :)

HeidiG said...

Dress is amaaaaazing on you - love love love!! so impressed with the boys tee on you - too cute for words - love with the madras shorts!

JTS said...

You look fantastic in that dress!! :)
And I love buying kids' tees - they have some of the most fun graphics! When I used to work at Gap Outlet, I was constantly scouting the kids' tees tables for good finds!

kater said...

woohoo colonial williamsburg! I too seriously want to steal the colonial costumes of the "elite" ladies that walk about when I go there. They are just so beautiful and fabulous. maybe you and I should get together and host our own colonial costume tea or something dina - ha ha ha ha! I'm kidding - sort of...:)

A said...

This dress is amazing on you Dina. I love the color, style, fit - everything about it! :)

Cloggsy said...

The dress looks so pretty on you! Great color too!

GingerSnap said...

That dress is darling! I especially love the bright color :)

Patina said...

my dad used to eat fried crab sandwiches when we were kids at ocean city. i think i am forever scarred by my memories of those poor crabs being devoured by my dad....seeing those little crab legs dangling outside of the bread and that crunching sound horrified me and to this day I can't eat them lol. hope my 2 cents doesn't turn you off about them now. love the melody dress on you

prince snow farm said...

Love the dress on you. Sounds like you had a fun time. How's the end of school going?

Anonymous said...

Wow--you are really lookin' especially good lately in your outfits!
The pink dress with the Lucia Yellow sandals is hottt!

Beth said...

You look great! Check out those arms!! You go girl.

dinagideon said...

Hi all!

I think I need to wear dresses more often...good thing I love sundresses in the summer! I tend not to wear them right now for practical reasons (nursing CW and all) but when I am not a nursing momma I wear dresses 3 of the 7 days of the week, I love them that much! :)

Amy: WHAAAA? That was what I thought when I read your comment. It must be a defective dress...wow. I AM glad that I purchased this one in a size 8 and not a P8 or regular 6. But that said, it was long enough and just fitted enough for me to realize that J. Crew got the sizing correct. Did you end up getting a new one? It is such a lovely dress and with your coloring, I bet it would look smashing!

Tastymoog: I almost got the citron, but since I have about three billion items in my closet in that color, I went for the novelty of a new color/fabric!!! I am sure you look amazing in it...and I could see a winter look with a pair of purple tights, purple turtleneck and black boots!

Kater: I am always up for stuff like that!!! After all I am a nerdy American History teacher! In fact, I love all that stuff SO much I am very close to making a decision on whether I should go back and get a museum education degree from GW. Hmm...

Patina: NO WORRIES. I was laughing though at your story...I now am imagining my own kids getting totally freaked out by my desire to eat softshell crab sandwiches. Fortunately rex seems to like the taste (yes, I have given my 2-year old softshell crab)...we'll see about CW.

Monogram Girl: School is okay...I think we are all just done. Where I teach we test at the end of May so the kids basically spend 28 days doing very little school work (I try to make sure they have some, but boy, some kids just turn off completely). How is your school year end going or are you fortunate enough to be done?

Beth: You crack me up...I didn't even think anything of my arms till you said something...I guess the Pilates Allegro and Pi-Yo classes are working. Thanks! :)