Saturday, February 16, 2013

OOTDs: Retro Boden.

To kickoff the beginning of this blog's new (monthly, likely, based on my time constraints) feature called the Retro Boden Roundup, I am showing off two of my own recent retro Boden outfits of late.  :)

If you would like to join in the frivolity, please do send me a photo (if you don't have a blog) or a link to your blog where you posted the outfit.  (E-mail is dinagideon AT aim DOT com.)

If you are one of the blogs I regularly feature over here in the Boden Weekly Review Roundup, I have combed through your last month's posts (back to January 1, 2013) and found all the older Boden outfits, so you all don't need to e-mail me, you all are covered.  :)

Day: Saturday, February 2, 2013. (Groundhog Day!)

Where: Sewing Class.

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Very comfortable, but I am docking a half point because I got really hot in the sweater dress.  It isn't the fault of the "flattering knitted dress," but since I can control what I wear and not the building's temperature, it is all on me and my poor decision making skills.  :)

The Sheepskin Lined Boots also helped me overheat, so while they are great for climates that are really really cold, if you are in a climate that has many warm winter days, only wear them on days when there is a real guarantee of cold. 

Cool Factor: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  I really like how this outfit looks overall.  The individual pieces are not necessarily the most fashion forward, but together, I think it makes for a fairly cool look, at least in my world. 

This dress is from the fall of 2009.  I have worn it many times on this blog, but this is the first time I feel like I have styled it well.  I think wearing it with darker tights and wedge boots helps.

Anecdote from the day:  Cutting patterns is so hard.  I keep thinking while doing it, "it is just pinning and cutting," but because I don't want to make any mistakes, at all, I take so long in making the initial cuts, and then spend many minutes carefully concentrating on the rest of the process.  My stepmom says I am being too careful, that sewing should feel easier, but I am definitely not there yet.

The groundhog did not see his shadow, so it looks like no more winter for us.  I think the boots and sweater dress will be going bye-bye to the storage room soon.  Of course, the groundhog saw his shadow last year, and I barely wore any winter coats because it was so warm, so I am beginning to get suspicious of my favorite festive rodent.



Day: Friday, January 25, 2013.

Where: From what I recall, nowhere special.  I definitely took Rex and CW to the Little Gym for their class, so there's that.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) The tunic, leggings, and snood are really comfortable, warm, and easy.  The Matt Bernson booties are also all of those things, but since they have the tiniest cone heel, they help keep the outfit from being 100% easy to wear.

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.) Again, styling helps, but because the "merino ruffle tunic" has a very bold and in your face pattern printed on it, the look is either "love or hate."

I have worn this tunic so many times on this blog, but the first time I wore it I think I styled it well

Anecdote from the day:  Well, since I barely remember what I did that day, no real anecdotes, but I do know it was cold if I was wearing this particular combo.  I can also tell you that the Little Gym is fabulous, and they love Rex's overabundance of personality and spirit.  I remember really enjoying the boys in my classes (way back when I was a teacher full-time) with a lot of energy, but since I see so many people who prefer kids like CW (you know, docile, demure, sweet, etc.), I guess I have forgotten that there are people who think all kids are great, regardless of demeanor.  Because like adults, kids all have different personalities, and being able to have all three of my kids at a place where all of their personalities are celebrated is truly awesome.  :)

Okay, that's it!  I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday, and if you feel so inclined to join in on the retro Boden reminiscing, do send me an e-mail, please!